13

'I used to know but I'm not sure now, what I was made for'

The bell at the top of the door lightly ringed when Laura entered the shop

The bell at the top of the door lightly ringed when Laura entered the shop. It was a small and empty room with a bunch of clothes on shelves and hangers.

Jude's birthday was coming and Laura had still no gift. So when she woke up this morning, she knew she had to hurry and find something for her best friend.

The young girl started looking around fro anything that would catch her attention. Scarves, socks, pants, nothing that he didn't have already.

While she was lost in her thought looking at the different shirts hanging in front of her and imagining her friend wearing them, a noise of steps appeared beside her. Feeling the presence of someone else, Laura looked up and met a boy's eyes glued on her.

Brown hair and deep brown eyes, he wasn't tall but not small either, just a few inches taller than her, all that topped with a charming smile.

'Can I help you find something ?' He asked not taking his stupid smile off.

'No I'm fine, thank you sir.' She answered, smiling brightly, still grateful for the help he proposed. 'Actually.' She said, rethinking his offer 'I'm searching a gift for my best friend and I have no idea what to take him. Would you have any idea ?'

'Yeah sure, I can help with that.'

The young man presented multiple articles to the woman but it was always the same excuse 'it's not enough'. Laura wanted something special, something great, something perfect. After six years of friendship, she wanted something that said 'thank you for being my savior' and it wasn't a grey shirt with white stripes that would send the message.

'Is he as beautiful as you ?' The seller asked, cutting Laura in her contemplation of this jean the guy was holding.

'What ?'

'Your friend. Is he as pretty as you are ?' He repeated himself.

'Well, thank you' Laura answered, not knowing how to react to this compliment. 'He is' she searched her words 'Quite handsome.'

'Is he only your friend ?'

'What do you mean ?'

'Is he more than your friend ?'

'Oh no no ! He's my best friend, only my best friend. He's like a brother to me.' Laura said quickly, not wanting the guy to take the wrong idea.

'You scared me for a minute' He sighed in relief.

'Why ?'

'Well, because' he stopped for a moment 'You know' then stopped again 'you're gonna think I'm crazy but, I don't work here.'

'What do you mean you don't work here ? You've been showing me clothes for the past fifteen minutes ?' The girl frowned, feeling like all of this was just a huge joke.