28

'Think I'm more alive somehow, i feel like myself right now'

Laura's silhouette reflected on the big mirror glass in front of her

Laura's silhouette reflected on the big mirror glass in front of her. The woman in the mirror was wearing a white sleeveless cotton top with black stitching around the edge. Laura had decided to wear the matching skirt, finding herself completely dressed in white and black, her tan showing more than ever.  Turning slightly and looking at her body in the mirror, the young woman couldn't help but let a sigh escape her lips.

She could say whatever she wanted but no matter how much her new relationship with Jude had helped her self-esteem, the voices in the back of her head had never gone away.

'Wow.' The boy's voice resonated in the room and Laura's gaze met his focused face in the mirror. Jude's eyes were fixated on her body and on the way the clothes were falling on her skin. 'Is this dress new ? I've never seen it ?'

'It's not a dress it's an ensemble.' Laura said as Jude approached, finding himself right behind his girlfriend, watching her in the reflection as he placed his hands on her hips.

"Dress or ensemble, you look beautiful, baby.' He said as he left a kiss on her cheek.

'I don't really know.' She breathed out, smoothing the fabric of her skirt.

'I do. I can't believe I get to call you my girlfriend.' Jude said as his eyes got lost in hers. A small smile appeared on Laura's face but it was soon enough wiped away. 'If you don't feel like wearing it, don't, babe.' The footballer explained, giving her a reassuring smile.

'Your mother will be there.'

'My mother saw you with your braces and greasy hair, she couldn't care less.' The man said, earning a chuckle from his girlfriend.

'Nora is gonna be there too and I...' Laura stopped herself for a few seconds. 'I know it's stupid but I just... forget about it.' She said before giving the boy a fake smile.

'No tell me, Laura.' He said, making the girl turn to him by using the hands he had previously left on her hips.

'I just feel like I have to be pretty.' She said, feeling as if she couldn't lie anymore now that his eyes were planted in hers.

'And why do you feel that way ?'

'I don't know.' Laura said, meeting a silence Jude had purposely left, knowing she needed time to express her thoughts. 'Maybe it's the idea that you guys already had something.' Jude would have loved her thoughts to be some kind of misplaced jealousy. But he knew better than that and recognised immediately that it was just due to her self consciousness.

Jude had fought for years to try and show the girl how wonderful she was. The first years of their friendship were filled with laughing and snickering but the teenage boy was not stupid and could see that mountains of insecurities were hiding underneath and the more time spend with her, the bigger they appeared to him. Even more when Jude had the chance to meet Anaïs for the first time, understanding straight away where all of this was originally from.