Part 28

"(Y/N)? Is it really you?" He exclaimed, his eyes welling up with tears as he pulled you into a tight embrace.

"Yeah, it's me," you replied, your voice catching in your throat. "I'm so sorry I haven't been around."

"Don't apologize, not like I was either. It's good to see you," he said, wiping away a tear. "Come inside. Everyone's been worried sick about you."

You entered the house and were greeted by the rest of your family. Emotions ran high as you exchanged hugs and shared stories with some forgotten details about your time away. The pain of your father's passing was still fresh, but being surrounded by family offered some comfort. Over the course of the day, you spent time catching up with your family, sharing stories of your adventures and experiences while you were away. Despite the somber reason for your return, there was a sense of warmth and familiarity being back with your loved ones. You also learned that your father had left behind some belongings for you, including his guitar, art supplies, and the other things he held dear. Seeing all these sentimental items after all this time brought tears to your eyes.

As the evening approached, you felt a mixture of emotions about Trevor and the decision to leave him to his own devices for the day. Your phone hasn't rung, he hadn't tried to contact you and that worried you. Suddenly your phone lit up in your pocket and you checked your messages, it wasn't Trevor like you'd originally thought but Eliot instead.

"Hey, I hope everything's going okay," the text from Eliot read. "Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. Thought we could catch up over drinks tonight?" 

You smiled at Eliot's message. Despite the whirlwind of emotions and events, it was comforting to know that someone cared enough to check in on you. You quickly typed out a response, letting him know that you appreciated the offer and would love to meet up for drinks later that night. As you put your phone away, you couldn't help but feel a sense of guilt about leaving Trevor on his own for so long. You knew he had a a jealous side, and he had become an integral part of your life, but you also needed time to process everything that had happened. Your thoughts were quickly interrupted by the sound of your families doors opening and you see your sister followed in tow by your mother entering the house. 

Your sister, Julia, had always been your confidant and best friend. She had been there for you through thick and thin, and her warm smile now offered you a sense of comfort. "Hey, I'm glad you're back," she said, pulling you into a hug. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too," you replied, squeezing her tightly. "It's been too long."

Your mother, however, wasn't as warm. She was as nice as she knew how to be but the truth was you and your mother were never close, finding her too cold and selfish to stay in her company for long. You exchanged a polite hug with your mother, trying to push aside any feelings of discomfort. "It's good to see you," you said, although it felt somewhat forced.

"We were all worried sick about you," she said, her voice tinged with a mix of concern and disapproval. "You can't just disappear like that without a word. Your father's passing was hard on all of us, and we needed each other." And so it begins, the belittling, being the constant disappointment, oh how nice it is that nothing has changed. 

You took a deep breath, trying to remain composed despite the tension rising within you. "I know, and I'm sorry," you replied sincerely. "I needed some time to myself to process everything. I didn't mean to cause anyone pain."

Your mother's expression softened slightly, but her disapproval was still evident. "We're all grieving, but we needed you here with us," she said. "Your father would have wanted us to lean on each other during this difficult time."