Chapter 15: Escaping an Encounter

(Third Person POV)

What felt like days were only hours. Maddie was plotting her escape plan. First, she'd sneak through the vents, find the dungeon, pick lock Luigi's cell, and use the portal ring to get to the Mushroom Kingdom. She saw Lena sitting on a chair in the corner of the parlor room. Yet, this room may have been a parlor room, it looked almost like one of those African hotel rooms you'd find at Hotel Ranga. At least Tom and Sonic weren't in this mess. Maddie did feel a little tired. She overhears Lena crying.

"Lena? What's wrong?" Maddie asked.

In her orange and yellow dress, Maddie took a few steps forward and knelt down next to the chair Lena was in.

"Is it your powers? Are you still scared?"

The little star shook her head no to the questions.

"Then what is it?" Maddie asked, kindly.

Lena wipes a few tears away.

"It's just that... every day I wake up in this room with my siblings... and I remember that my Mama is not here... I feed that... I'll forget all the things we did together, and that I'll be looking at murals of my Mama like she's some stranger." Lena said, fighting tears.

Maddie felt so bad for this child. Parentless, scared, and no one to depend on. Poor Lena spent the last fifteen years keeping her little siblings safe after her Mama's disappearance. She endured a lot of pain and torture when she refused to speak about the star's secret. She did it for the sake of her siblings safety and for that, she managed to stay strong in lethal situations... sometimes. Maddie had to do something to make Lena feel better. Seeing that she still had her phone on her in the dress the Shy Guys made her wear, she came up with an idea. She cups little Lena into her arms and Maddie sits down on the bed.

"Tell me something about your Mom. Something that makes you happy."

Lena's little beady eyes staggered down, not thinking up anything.

"I'm not sure." She looks back up at Maddie. "I can't think of one thing."

"Just try."

Lena closed her eyes, hoping to recall a happy memory from the past before that fateful day. She opened her eyes and looked up at Maddie.

"Well... one time I found her crying in the kitchen. She was sad because she missed her mama too. I grabbed some tissues and wiped away her tears, and then I got her some star bits to help cheer her up. She smiles and thanked me for cheering her up. That was pretty sweet of Mama."

"Okay, so that's a memory you'll never forget." Said Maddie.

"What do you mean, Miss Maddie?"

"I'm keeping it for you." She reveals that she was recording the conversation. "In here."

Maddie plays back a recording of what Lena said and a tear escaped from the star's adorable little eyes. Amazed by this technology, Lena looked up at Maddie once more, drawing her attention away from the phone.

"If you ever want to talk to me about your family, you can tell me and I'll record the happiest memories for you and play them back, so we can listen to them whenever we want."