"And I cant stand him."

The day of the hearing approached faster than I expected. It was a Saturday morning at 11:30. I was a nervous wreck. Gwen and I were getting ready for it, because for some reason, you have to look presentable for an occasion like this.

I had Borrowed one of Gwen's dresses. It was a simple, blue, long sleeved, sundress with white flowers on it. Gwen was scarily quiet that morning. She seemed nervous too. For the first time since I've known her, she was not talking up a storm.

Honestly, I was hoping for her to be her normal self. I wanted her to talk. To chit-chat with me. I needed a distraction.

After we were done getting ready we walked out the door to the conference room. We walked quietly. Not saying a word to eachother.

As we approached the room we saw some of the team standing outside of it.

"Hey, guys.." I spoke up.

"Hey Tarynn, hey Gwen." Fulton greeted.

"Where's everyone else?" Gwen asked.

"They're coming." Kenny replied.

The rest of the team showed up one by one. We all stood outside and waited for the dean to let us know when we could enter.

I stood by Guy, and Gwen stood by Adam.

Finally the dean had let us in. We walked in on one side, and the varsity team on the other.

The dean went on to present the reasoning for this hearing. "Do I have a motion for reconsideration?"

Silence. Dead silence. I bit down on my nails and frowned. This was it. They were leaving soon. A wave of devastation washed  over me.

"I'm sorry, coach, but unless there's a motion from a board member and a second...the decision must stand." I looked at Gwen who looked like she was about to cry.

"You leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney." The door swung open and in walked their former coach, Gordon Bombay. My eyes lit up with home.

In Minnesota, everyone knew who he was before his hockey career.

He explained that he was here to lay out their legal options.

"Mr.Bombay, this isn't a legal proceeding." Dean reasoned.

"Not yet, but I can assure you it will be." I smiled to myself then looked at Guy, who was already smiling. "These scholarships...an offer...became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients...and acceptance by the Ducks.They cannot be voided except for cause which, I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue their cancellation, I will slap you with an injunction."

The whole team looked at one another with hopeful glances. The varsity team on the other hand, just rolling their eyes. 

"I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win.Because I am very, very good." Gordon Bombay then went on to credit the school for his education.

"He's good." Coach Orion said.

"Just getting started." Charlie replied.

"Now some of you may be snobbish enough
to believe that these Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall. Let me tell you, you are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people." He went on.

A sense of accomplishment washed over the whole room, and suddenly, I knew everything would work out.

"You give them their full shot, and I promise you they will succeed, not only the ice, but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends, and I know what they can do. Accordingly, I demand that you reinstate their scholarships, for their benefit... and for your own."