Chapter 2

Y/n's POV

Hajime and I continued making our way through the labyrinth floors, slaughtering and consuming monsters along the way. Both of us were gaining skills and levels since we were eating the monsters that attacked us on each floor. Hajime was quiet for most of the journey, which didn't really bother me since living as a monster was normally quiet except for the occasional roar, growl and other monster noises. Eventually we came to a stop and Hajime used his transmute skill to make some walls around us. "I've got no idea how much farther we have to go until we hit the bottom of this labyrinth. I think we've gone down about 50 levels from where I landed and met you. Maybe the answers we're looking for are behind those doors." Hajime said, looking at the doors that we found while exploring. I looked at the doors, seeing the two giant statues guarding it which seemed odd to me. "It's time to open Pandora's box." Hajime said.

"What's Pandora's box?" I asked.

"That's a story for another time. The real question is, will we find hope inside like she did?" Hajime said. I was confused and just stared at him. "You're weird." I said. Hajime just looked at me before shaking his head. "Saying I'm weird is an understatement. Besides, you might wanna look at yourself before you call anyone else weird." Hajime said. I looked down at myself, trying to figure out what he meant by that, before he shook his head again. "That was just meant as an expression. You're weird because you're a mimic that copied a person who was once human to be stronger." Hajime explained. I nodded, sort of understanding what he meant. "We're surviving this hell hole and going back home. Nobody's standing in our way. If they do..." Hajime started. 

"We'll kill them." I finished. 

"Now you're getting it." Hajime said, patting my head. We walked over to the doors looking up at them since they were huge. "I've got nothing. I studied a ton while I was in the castle in the human kingdom, but never saw anything like this. Guess that could mean it's really ancient. Alright, I'll use transmute and see what happens, but be ready for anything." Hajime said. I nodded as he reached up and touched the doors. I saw the mana circle appear on the back of his hand before red lightning shot from the door. We jumped back as I felt a monster's presence appear. I looked up at the statues, which had their eyes open now. "What is it?" Hajime asked. He looked up at the statues, seeing that they were waking up. The stone around their bodies broke apart as they looked at us. "Can you take one?" Hajime asked.

"Yup!" I said. I used my mimic skill to copy the monster, which made me grow to their size before I heard Hajime's weapon go off. He shot the red monster in the eye, which killed it. "Sorry, I know how this normally plays out, so I'm not going to let you two gang up on me." Hajime said. The Blue one, which I mimicked, charged at Hajime before I stepped in and blocked it. "Great job kid! Now hold it still so I can take it out." Hajime said. I did my best to hold the monster still, but it used defensive magic to block the shots coming from Hajime. "Give me a second Y/n, I need to reload." Hajime said. I continued holding the monster back, trying to break its defensive magic while waiting for Hajime to come back. Hajime came back and fired a few shots at it again before it shoved me to the side and tried to punch Hajime. He dodged the attack as I got up and rushed over. I grabbed the monster's arms pinning them behind his back allowing Hajime to finally shoot the monster in it's eye, killing it like the last one. "Okay, let's find out what you and your buddy were protecting." Hajime said. I mimicked Hajime again before standing next to him in front of the doors. We pushed on the doors to open them but they still wouldn't budge. "Man what is with these doors? They won't budge." Hajime complained. Hajime went back and stared breaking down the bodies of the monsters we just defeated. As he cut through them he found what looked like some mana stone in their bodies.

"Mana stones? So these guys were the keepers of the keys then." Hajime said. He tossed me one of the stones as I held it up to the door and it snapped in place on the door. The doors unsealed and opened for us letting off a bunch of wind as they opened. When we walked into the room it was dark, but something was glowing on the ceiling before I noticed a giant floating stone that was spinning. "What's that?" I asked.