The New Kid In Town

Cameron

"Do you think he heard that?" I asked.

"I don't know," Embry said as we laid on the bed together staring up at the ceiling.

The whole thing had been faked for Romeo's benefit. I had just been laying here holding Embry's hand when I said it. I heard Romeo coming up the stairs and it just came out before I could stop myself. Embry had put his free hand over his mouth trying not to laugh.

There were times when I wanted to take it further with Embry but we tended to keep it PG-13. I had kissed and made out with other boys besides Embry, but had never taken it further than that. We had never really talked about taking anything to the next level. I was afraid to push it. I wanted too but I was unsure where his head was.

I had just gotten him to hold my hand in the hallways at school. I had waited for the backlash to come when we came out at school but everyone seemed to already know. I just thought it was a little funny that we thought we were hiding from so many people and they were just like whatever when we told them. Even Brad, Aiden, and Ryan, our best friends, were cool with it.

"What's on your mind?" Embry asked me.

"You," I replied as I let go of his hand and leaned up on my elbow with my head in my hand to look at him.

"Really," Embry said as his lips met mine.

I ran my hand up his chest under his shirt. I wanted to try and push it as far as he would let me. I ran my hand back down his chest and hovered my hand over the button to his jeans. He kept kissing me and put his hands in my hair to pull me closer. I fumbled with the button off his jeans. Just as I reached his zipper the door slammed open.

We jumped apart off the bed on opposite sides. Embry quickly rebuttoned his pants but it was a little too late to hide what had been going on. I wondered where we would have let this go if we hadn't gotten caught. Embry wouldn't look at me, even though I was looking at him. He just stared at the floor.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" Embry's dad yelled.

Embry made eye contact with his dad and walked around the bed to where I stood. We locked eyes and he kissed me right in front of his dad. I was shocked. Embry was being so bold. It wasn't something he would normally do, and I wondered where this braveness was coming from. He pulled apart first and stood there smiling at me.

"I love you," he whispered. "And I don't care who knows it."

"I love you too," I said back.

"I think it is time for Cameron to go home now," Embry's dad said between his clenched teeth.

I kissed Embry one last time quickly and left the room. I had the feeling the only place I'd be seeing him for a while would be school.

The next morning I woke to a text message from Embry.

I can't ride to school with you

Okay, I texted back.

I'll explain at school

So I got ready and walked outside to my car. I got in my car alone for the first time since I got the car for my sixteenth birthday almost a year ago.

Driving to school alone was sad. I missed holding Embry's hand all the way to school. I even missed the way we fought over what to listen to on the radio. The drive seemed so long by myself and I realized how much time I actually spent with Embry. He had become my life.