How I Ruined Everyone's Life

Romeo

When I woke up my dad was by my side. As I opened my eyes he put his finger over his mouth telling me to hush. I wasn't sure why, but I obeyed. I had no idea why I was here. I didn't remember anything. I had so many questions.

My dad leaned down and whispered in my ear. "In a few minutes the cop is gonna come in here and arrest you. Ask for an attorney and don't say a word. I already have one on retainer. "

My eyes got really big. "For what?" I whispered.

"You honestly don't remember?" he asked.

I shook my head. What was he talking about? I was scared. If they wanted to arrest me what had I done? I watched as the doctor came in and checked on me. I wanted someone to tell me what was going on and why I was lying in this hospital bed and why my whole body hurt.

"Well it looks like if you continue to improve and nothing goes wrong we can move you out of ICU in a couple of days," the doctor declared.

"Can someone please tell me what happened?" I asked.

"What is the last thing you remember?" the doctor asked.

"I remember leaving my house Saturday night and going to a party. I found my friend Justin there and met a girl named Mabel, then I woke up here. How long have I been here?"

"You've been in a coma for a week now. You were in a car accident," the doctor told me.

I looked at my dad as my panic rose. My heart started beating faster on the monitor. I was having a full blown panic attack. I started to hyperventilate and my chest hurt like my heart was going to explode.

"Okay Romeo take some deep breaths and calm down. In and out, that's it. Calm down so I don't have to sedate you," the doctor instructed.

I took the deep breaths as I was instructed and tried to calm down. "Why are they gonna arrest me?"

"You were drinking and another driver died in the accident. They're trying to hold you at fault," my dad explained.

Tears formed in my eyes. Oh God this was bad, really bad. So that's why my dad didn't want me to say anything. Maybe it was a good thing I couldn't remember anything. Then I thought about the girl who I had been talking to at Justin's house. Was she with me?

"Mabel?" I asked.

"No she's fine. She was released two days ago. Her father has requested you not try to contact her," my dad said sadly.

Maybe that was for the best. I had a feeling when all this was over I wouldn't be contacting anyone. I was in big trouble. I could possibly go to prison or juvie. I had never been more scared in my life.

The doctor left and spoke briefly to the cop outside the door. The cop nodded and said something into his walkie talkie. He turned to look at me before he headed into the room. I tried to hold back tears but it was useless. I looked at my dad and he had tears in his eyes too. He looked as scared as I felt.