He Almost Didn't Make It

Ryssa

I laid on Aunt Victoria's couch with a fan blowing on me. It was so hot and I was so miserable. She was the only one who truly knew how I felt. No one else knew what it was like to be pregnant with twins. I was so ready to have these babies. I didn't understand how Aunt Victoria had another baby eleven months later. She was crazy for that. I never wanted to go through this again.

"Ryssa are you sure you're okay?" Uncle Ross asked me as he came into the living room.

"Yeah my back just hurts," I answered.

"Let me know if you need anything. I know how miserable Victoria was at this point," he said.

"Thanks," I said back as he left.

Did I need anything? That was a loaded question. I needed a lot of things. I needed to be in the studio recording my part of the new songs. I needed these babies out so I could recover before we had to perform July fourth weekend at the state fair. A husband who could just stay with me and not have to work would be nice to have too.

Right now though it seemed like everyone was watching me like I was a ticking time bomb about to explode at any minute. I had made it to thirty seven weeks today. Tomorrow was my last appointment before we discussed inducement. So I knew it would all be over soon.

I got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen. Aunt Victoria was making lunch. I sat down at the breakfast bar and sighed. I wasn't very hungry. I was anxious and I was never anxious about anything. My nerves just seemed to be on edge and I couldn't shake the feeling something was about to happen. I got up and walked to the fridge. As I opened it and grabbed a bottle of water something trickled down my legs. I froze.

"Ryssa what's wrong?" Aunt Victoria asked.

"I think I just wet myself," I said a little confused.

She came over and stood behind me. "Ryssa that's not pee. Your water broke."

When the first contraction hit me I dropped the water bottle and it bounced on the floor. I wanted to sink to my knees but a pair of arms caught me before I could. When the pain stopped I noticed it was Uncle Ross. He carried me back to the couch.

"I think it may be a good time to text Liam," Uncle Ross said. "I told him to keep his phone on him at all times."

Liam

I wasn't able to concentrate on anything here at the studio. I kept glancing at my phone. I could hear a male voice singing. I think it was Embry or maybe it was Emerson. Hell who cared I was too distracted to do any work. Riker and Ellington were doing it all and I was just basically sitting here taking up space. Besides the fact that I was thinking about Ryssa I had this pain in my stomach. It had been aching since last night now I think I was actually running a fever.

Riker looked up at me and said something I didn't catch as my phone buzzed. I glanced at the screen and saw a text from Ryssa that said baby time. It took me a minute to understand what it meant. I must have said it out loud because Riker jumped up and pulled me from the room. We were in his car and driving before I knew what was happening.

Ryssa texted again and said she was on her way to the hospital. I sent a text back saying meet you there. This was happening. Today was the day I got to meet my daughters and become a dad. Maybe this pain in my stomach was just sympathy pains. That had to be it, I thought to myself as we drove to the hospital in silence.

At the hospital Riker parked and we got out and made our way up the labor and delivery floor. I was nervous. I walked up to the desk with Riker behind me. I tried to control my shaking hands as I waited for the lady at the desk to get off the phone.