shes mine

"Jane are you here?" Maura asked, locking their door behind her. Jane had moved in with Maura after her apartment was burned down, she wanted to feel safe, and Maura was safe.

"Yeah I'm in here" Jane yelled from the sofa.
"Thank god" Maura breathed, taking in the sight of her best friend. She was sat on the couch, in a pair of sweatpants and a sports bra, bottle of beer in her hand, the sox game playing out on the screen in front of her. She looked relaxed, herself, and it made a little bit of Mauras bad day wash away.

"I have had such a shitty day" Maura sighed, slipping off her shoes and moving into the kitchen to pour herself a rather large glass of red. Janes attention was now entirely on Maura, more so her use of profanity, a rare occurrence that quite frankly worried Jane.

"How come?" Jane asked, turning down the tv and letting her eyes follow Maura as she made her way to the couch. Jane placed her beer on the table and grabbed a blanket from the back of the sofa, pulled it across her legs and lifted up the right side of it to make space for Maura. Maura sat next to Jane and swung her legs up to rest them across Janes thighs. Janes hands automatically gravitated to Mauras thigh, gently stroking across her knee and swirling small patterns around the material of the blanket.

"Well, first off, Paddy Doyle has tried to get into contact with me, which, quite frankly I want no part of. I mean the man is a mob boss and a murderer and it's utterly infuriating that he wont just leave me alone!" She began, already telling the story with her free hand. She took a large gulp of wine and then sighed. "And then Hope called! She wants to see me, I mean seriously Jane after everything, I got no thank you, no contact for a year, and now she decides she wants to see me. I don't know where she got the nerve, Jane." Maura was getting frantic now.

"Okay, honey. You need to try and do some of your deep breathing and try to calm down a little-"
"Calm down? Calm down! Seriously Jane I came to you because I wanted to rant! I thought you would be willing to listen and help me but no!" Maura had jumped up and was pacing around the living room.

"No, Maur, I'm sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like I was shutting you down I just-"
"I know" Maura sighed, still pacing. "I know, I'm just so tired; I am so sick of my life and the people that take me for granted, they just use me when they want to and then they walk away when they see fit and I'm so tired of feeling so, so unwanted!" Hot tears were streaming down Mauras face and Jane felt a little helpless.

"Maur, come sit down"
"No. No I'm gonna go and get changed. This dress is too tight I feel like I'm suffocating" Maura cried, reaching behind herself to try and unzip the dress.
"Here, can I help?"
"Please" She cried. She turned around and sat on the sofa, her back to Jane. Jane placed one hand on Mauras waist, and brought the other one up to the zip, gently pulling it down. As soon as it was open Maura quickly pulled her arms out and let out a sigh of relief.

She let it bunch around her waist and then leaned back against Jane, needing to feel a sense of comfort.
"You know you aren't unwanted, Maur" Jane said quietly, wrapping her arms around Maura and splaying them out against the warm skin of her stomach. "You've done nothing but help me, and I'm so sorry if you feel like im taking you for granted, or using you, but I promise you I do appreciate it. I'm not going to run away, I'm gonna stay here with you because this is where I want to be, with you. You're my person, sweetheart" Jane gave Maura a little squeeze.

"I know" Maura nodded, leaning back to rest her head against Janes shoulder. "You're my person too. I'm sorry I freaked out, todays just been...long" She decided. Jane lifted a hand from Mauras stomach to gently swipe away her tears, then she wrapped her arm around Mauras chest to hold her shoulder, pulling her closer so she could keep her safe, the same way Maura kept her safe. Jane turned her head and pressed her lips to Mauras temple.

"I'm gonna go get changed"
"Okay baby" Jane whispered. Maura felt her heart contract, each slamming of the valves echoing through her own ears.

Usually she would hate that. She wasn't an infant so why should people use a pet name to suggest so. But something about the way Jane said it, it wasn't patronising, it wasn't belittling, it was healing, Maura felt a small part of her broken heart, sew itself back up and she couldn't help but smile. Jane gave her one more squeeze and then Maura got up, making her way into her bedroom.

She found herself in Janes clothes, an oversized black Nike hoodie, and a pair of black boxer shorts that Jane wore to sleep in. She felt comfort in wearing Janes clothes, feeling somewhat closer to the woman.

She went into the bathroom to brush her teeth, pulling her hair out of its elaborate twist and letting it fall in loose curls around her shoulders. She quickly rid her face of her makeup and then made her way back into the bedroom.

She noticed that there was a candle lit, in the corner of the room, the curtains had been drawn and there was a cold bottle of water and some aspirin on her bedside table. The next thing she saw was Jane, propped up under the covers, messing around on her phone. She placed the phone down and pulled the covers away when she saw Maura enter. Maura crossed her arms and leaned against the doorway with her hip, eyes scanning the room.

"Thank you, Jane" Maura smiled softly.
"Come lay down" Jane said quietly, still holding the covers open. Maura glided across the room and slid into bed, crawling on top of Jane and tangling their legs together. She wrapped an arm around Janes waist and brought her other up to her shoulder, resting her chin on Janes chest and looking up at her.

"Thank you for looking after me" Maura breathed. Jane smiled and wrapped her arms around Maura, one on her shoulder blade one slipping below her hoodie and letting her fingertips trace up and down Mauras bare spine.
"Thank you for letting me" Jane whispered, her eyes meeting Mauras and holding her gaze. "I love you baby, you know that?"
"Yeah I do, and I love you too. Especially when you call me baby" Maura smiled, her face inching closer to Janes.
"I'll keep calling you baby if you kiss me" Jane smirked a little.
"That seems like a fair trade" Maura whispered, her breath touching Janes lips before their mouths met in the middle.

Janes fingers continued to trace shapes around Mauras back, and her other hand came up to Mauras hair gently combing her fingers through the golden blonde locks. Maura brought her hand up to curl around the side of Janes neck as she deepened their soft kiss, it was passionate, not sexual, just conveying closeness between the two of them.

It came to a natural end and Maura rested her forehead against Janes, breathing in her air.
"I love you, so incredibly much, it actually hurts sometimes. Please don't ever go Jane, stay"
"I'm not going anywhere, sweetheart. You're mine now, you're stuck with me forever. I'm staying" Jane promised, kissing Mauras lips. "Especially now that I get to do that whenever I want"
"I believe we had a deal" Maura narrowed her eyes and settled her head into the space between Janes head and shoulder.
"Go to sleep, baby." Jane whispered. Maura got that fuzzy feeling again, finally feeling that hole in her heart close up, and she felt full. Content.

This was love. It was always, going to be them.
"Mine" Maura breathed.