Daniel

It was too late. I was too caught up in the moment to protect her...

I hear a gunshot. I watch it go through her chest. I scream and rush to grab her from hitting the ground. Eden runs over and helps me pick her up. The men help us into the jeep, and they take off.

...

The hospital. I hate hospitals. Every time I am in here, it is because death is around and looming. Eden waits with me as I get checked out. My face was red and puffy from crying. Eden doesn't speak as he watches the doctors patch me up. The only sounds come from the beeping machines and my heavy breathing. I am sick of being around death. It feels like my oldest friend at this point.

"You will be okay—just some bruising and swelling. Here are is some pain medication," The doctor says and hands me the pills. Tess must have been off because she wasn't here.

Eden follows me out of the room. Anden sits in the lobby with some other soldiers under June's command. She was in surgery. The bullet barely missed her heart. In an instant, I could have lost my family all over again before it even really started. Sometimes I wonder if moving back here to the Republic was something I should have done. Pressa walks in, goes over, kisses Edens's cheek, and then comes to me and hugs me.

We all sit there waiting. Hours go by. People come and go. Eden, Pressa, Anden, and I all sat there waiting.

I looked over at Anden, who looked tired. He occasionally took calls about his son. He mentioned he had a nanny who cared for his son. His face was a lot of hurt and misunderstanding.

I look at him. "Anden, I'm sorry for telling the world that man is your half-brother."

He just sighs. "You were underdistress. Not your fault you had to do what you had to. Its ashamed. I now only have my son as a family, it might have been nice to get to know Pierce."

"Things have been rough with me not being around, I can tell," I murmur and run my hands through my hair.

"Rough is an understatement, Daniel," Eden pipes up.

"Go on then, explain."

"June completely lost it. Like we'd never seen before. She was broken not having you around. She'd probably kick my ass for telling you that," Eden tries to joke.

Anden sighs "I finally know what all this was about. Pierce found Faline and told her of his findings. She then told him about the idea of the United States and they both agreed it was a bad idea. They were both trying to make claims to having my position of power. I found messages between them... They were plotting to kill all of us and then take over together..." Anden says painfully.

While we have all gone through a lot, Anden, being the Elector, has taken things more in stride. He isn't able to show emotions and speak with his heart. At this moment, him telling us this tells me he respects all of us as his trusted friends. I felt glad for this.

"I am truly sorry, Anden." I put my hand on his back, and he smiles some.

"I've always envied you, Daniel. You speak from your heart."

The doctor comes out, and I bolt up from my seat, ignoring the pain that I am in.

"She and the baby made it through. She will be able to finish out the rest of her pregnancy on bed rest. I'll take you back to see her when she wakes up more," The doctor says.

I fall to my knees and start crying. Eden comes over and hugs me.

"You are both alive and well," he whispers.

We sat there just hugging each other like we were kids again.

The doctor allows me back into the room. June was still asleep. She always looked peaceful when she slept. I grab her hand and squeeze it. I lean over and kiss her soft forehead. I look over her body and listen to the beeps of the monitors. Alive. That's all that mattered. I look towards her stomach and see a fetal heart monitor. Alive again.

"We both have had so many near-death experiences. I don't want to lose you or the family we have created. I will spend my life protecting you and our children. You have brought so much joy to my life. I would marry you all over again, June," I say aloud, tearing up. "I can't lose you again.

I place my hand on her stomach. "I hope this world we are creating for you will be kinder to you than it has to me and your mother," I say with tears falling down my cheeks.

I hadn't thought about how we were bringing a child into a very fucked up world in which we are trying to fix. It felt like insanity, but it also felt right. With Pierce dead, we could now move along with founding the New United States. Anden could retire, too. A whole new world of possibilities would open once the switch is made.

I sit in the chair next to June. Her eyes flutter open, and her hands go to wipe them. Her lips were dry, and she ran her tongue along them as she looked around. She locks eyes with me and smiles.

"Daniel," she pauses, "we are both fools."

I smirk. "We are brilliant fools." I grab her hand and kiss her softly.

We enjoy silence being in each other presence, and being vulnerable. June always has her guard up, but I can feel her relax when she is around me. Moments like this, I wish I wouldn't take them for granted.

I used to think money was the most essential thing in the world and that it would buy happiness. I now know it doesn't. Money is a material object. I know I'll be happy as long as I am with June and our family.

June sits up in her bed and lets out a breath of pain. She looks over at me with her golden eyes.

"Anden is going to demote me," She says aloud.

I look at her. "What do you mean?"

"He told me that if I got in the way of retrieving you that he would demote me," she says with a dryness in her voice.

"I doubt he will do that. You were distraught..."

She shakes her head. "I don't think I will protest him if he does."

"You love work. You are kind of a workaholic, sweetheart. Why wouldn't you protest him?" I ask, being concerned.

I watch as tears flood her eyes. She lets down her guard and opens her mouth as if to speak but chokes on the air. She looks around the room, then looks down at her stomach and places her hands on it.

"Daniel, I think it's time for me to retire. Being shot made me realize all over again that days don't last forever, and we both have almost watched our suns set too many times to count. I have been selfish this whole pregnancy, putting myself and our child in harm's way. I almost said goodbye to you before we could start our lives." She chokes her words out as she tears up.

I put my hand over her hand that was placed on her stomach. "I will support you, June. Your brother would be proud of you." I rub her forehead with my other hand and smile at her.