June

The reception party started at strictly at 1700 hours. Dinner was served first. Chicken and alfredo pasta and green beans. The wedding party sat at a long table, chatting away. Daniel held my hand, which made it hard to eat.

I look up at him and squeeze his hand. "Are you worried I'll disappear again?"

He laughs, "No, I just want to make sure you're real."

I smile, lean, and kiss him, "I'll always be by your side."

He smiles at my comment and runs his hand through his hair, a common gesture he does.

We finish eating, and the servants come and collect our plates. The music starts, and people gather on the dance floor.

Daniel pulls me up and starts to dance. I loved being here with him. He looked stunning in his tux and his bright blue eyes.

He makes me laugh as he does a terrible dance move and laughs with me.

"Someone get him off the dance floor. Arrest him for terrible dance moves," Eden laughs, making us laugh too. This day was supposed to be joyous.

I pull away from him to get a sip of my drink when I see Anden out in the hall, his wife not with him.

"Anden, you're missing the festivities," I smile at him and join him next to him.

He looks up, and his face hardens. Something has happened. Something not good.

"Anden, what's going on?" I can feel myself snapping into first-commander mode. I promised Daniel I wouldn't, but this seemed important. You never get days off when you get a promotion to first commander. Back in Antarctica, Daniel asked me about it, and I told him I doubted it would happen. But here I am, First Commander of the Republic.

"The protesters. They grow larger in numbers. They just attacked a senator's home. They are upset." He runs his hand through his hair.

"I'll put more of my men at the homes of the senators and increase security," I sigh, thinking back to how the Republic is hurting for money... a war or rebellion would be the end.

He looks up, "you still have the week off June. I'm telling you because I trust you. And I trust you will relax and have fun on your wedding day," he snaps.

I nod slowly and then head back into the party. Relaxing is a foreign concept to me.

Daniel notices me come back into the party and slides his arm around my waist, "What were you doing talking to Anden? What did I say about relaxing, my love?"

I sigh, "I'll tell you later," I try to smile and wrap my arms around him. I kiss him to try and put him at ease.

The rest of the night felt like it dragged on. We had cake and danced more. Tess and Pasco were drunk by the end of the night. I think Eden and Pressa found a room sometimes, too. People slowly started to leave and give their thanks to us. Still, what Anden told me earlier ate at me.

Daniel kisses my neck on the limo ride home, but I shrug it off.

"Sweetheart?" He looks at me.

"A senator was killed tonight. It started as protests, but now it feels like a movement." I start to say, but Daniel kisses me hard.

"June, don't let this ruin this day. It's not your fault. The men under you know what to do." he holds my hand and runs his thumb along my skin.

"Your right. Today is about us," I smile again and blush. He makes me crazy even when I feel upset.

We get to my apartment. We were building a house that wasn't ready, so this was temporary. He carries me into the apartment and into my bedroom.

He sets me on the bed and hovers over top of me. He leans down and kisses me deeply. I unbuttoned his tux and tossed it to the floor. He was much easier to undress than he would have to do. He slips his hand behind my back and tries to loosen the dress. I try not to laugh as he fails miserably at unlacing my dress. I lean up and kiss him again. This time, he kisses back, slowly slips a hand under the dress's skirt, and runs it along my skin. He slips off his trousers and wraps his arms around me.

He lays against me and lets out a sigh of relief. I push against him and keep my arms wrapped around his neck. Daniel has always been gentle with me, but it feels more passionate this time.

We lay in bed, my dress taking up most of it. I get up and go into the bathroom, and Daniel follows.

"This dress is getting itchy," I say and try to unlace it.

Daniel smiles and helps. He unlaces the dress and then helps me out of it. Before he hands me a robe, he looks over my body, and I shake my head at him as his eyes linger on my battle scars.

I crawl back into bed and prop myself up. He jumps into the bed and holds me close. His metal knee is cold against my legs as we intertwine them.

We lay with our arms wrapped around each other. I'm sure Daniel was asleep by now. I lift my head up to look at him, and then I softly kiss his cheek and lay back down.