Daniel

This is going to sound terrible. But the whole time we were at the baby shower, I couldn't stop thinking about that morning. Can you blame me, though? I sigh. We got some nice things and saw some old friends. We ate plenty of food and played silly games with diapers. I would have been just as happy spending time with just June. Life is going to change dramatically soon when our baby is born.

Anden taps me on the shoulder, which wakes me from my daydream. I sigh and look at him as he hands me a piece of paper with a name on it. A new bounty. A new risk.

"Hey, no rush on this one. I know June is due any time now," He says to me and sighs.

I look at him. "Yeah, of course. How's your son been?"

"He's great. I wish I could spend more time with him. He has a great nanny. He is so big now" He smiles.

"Anden, you should retire. You've done great work. Let someone else take over once America gets put together."

"I've thought about it. It's just not in the cards right now. I appreciate your opinion, though. You know Daniel, I know we haven't always seen eye to eye. But I am glad you are a friend of mine."

I smile. "You too, Anden. Here is to the future" I hold up my water bottle from my desk and take a sip.

He nods and leaves.

It's been a quiet two weeks. No rebellions. No large crimes. No war. No floods. I would say it's peaceful, but I know better than to jinx myself.

I grab my jacket and pull it around myself and leave. I hop in a jeep, and a driver takes me to mine and June's home. I walk into June on the floor, meticulously putting together some baby items.

"Hey, what are you doing, sweetheart?" I sit next to her and kiss her cheek.

"What does it look like, Daniel?" She says, frustrated.

"Let me help" I take the screwdriver, fashion the parts together, and then stand it up. June struggles to stand and lets out a sigh. I grab her hands and help her up.

"Thank you, it looks good," She breathes.

She looks paler than normal and more out of breath. I grab her hands. "What's wrong?"

"I've been in labor all day," she says and goes to the kitchen and pours a cup of tea, and takes a bite of a muffin.

"You've what?"

"Daniel, don't act like you didn't hear me. I'm fine, though. Tess said the early stages are nothing to sweat over" She takes another bite of the muffin.

"No, we are going to the hospital. You've been shot and have had like four different surgeries. You need to be monitored" I pick up my coms to call Tess.

She sighs and just nods.