June

I drive the Jeep as Daniel sleeps in the passenger seat now. My stomach was in butterflies from earlier. I can't believe we did it on the side of the road, like crazed animals. Daniel and I have always had a decent sex life, from what I'd like to think. I mean, we do have four kids. We have only been caught once, and honestly, I am glad it was Tess who caught us and not one of the kids. We snuck off to a closet during a formal party, and Tess happened to open the door. It's a moment we don't speak of for very obvious reasons. Daniel would judge me if I told him I know exactly how many times we have had sex... I really do tend to overanalyze everything. That is something Anden could not get over. He also could not get over the fact I could not love him the way he wanted to be loved. I don't speak about mine and Andens relationship much, it happened so long ago. But by the end of the relationship, we really did not see eye to eye. Daniel and him are the only men I have ever been with. I remember the day after Daniel and I first slept together, Anden came by to see me a few days afterward. He saw Daniels jacket on the floor, the look in Andens eyes that day were of sadness and betrayal. I think he always knew, even when we were together, that my heart was Daniels. In the years me and Daniel have been together, I've never asked him how many other women he had slept with. Sometimes Eden alludes that there had been a few, but they always left because Daniel broke it off with them. According to Eden, it's because they weren't me. I know Daniel had visions and dreams of me. He speaks about it every now and then. Memories of us together and the past. I know some things still haunt him, but we choose not to speak of it.

The sun starts to rise as I drive along. The sun peaks out over the horizon, making the car turn orange. The sky dances as clouds start to appear. The warmth of the sun on my face feels great as I drive. I miss our kids. I miss Metias. I wonder if Daniel ever misses John or his mom. I would do anything to curl up next to my brother again and drink hot cocoa. All the times, he took care of me while I was sick. All the times, he had to scold me for misbehaving in school. It's funny I think about how Grace misbehaves and most people think its Day recreated but honestly I think its me. Yeah, she isn't scaling buildings, but she rebels like I once did. She doesn't need to know of my schooling record though, she gives Daniel enough shit about his criminal "record".

I start to pull the jeep over into a gas station. Daniel stirs and wakes up as I pull to a halt. He stretches his arms and looks over at me. He pulls out some notes and hands them to me. I walked into the station, paid for the gas, and came back out as Daniel was pumping the gas into the jeep. The gas station was pretty busy. People bustling in and out. Most of them were upper-class and wealthy. The kind of people that can afford travel. There have been talks of creating a train where people can travel across the country for free to see all parts of our great nation. People stare at us as if they recognize us. Some of the kids point us out, but their parents hush them. I heard some questions about where our own kids were. I go get in the passenger seat of the jeep and Daniel, the driver. He takes off, leaving dust in our trail. He hates it when people don't mind their own business.