28. Not A Stark

"Your father and brothers are gone, yet here you stand King in the North. Last best hope against the coming storm." Petyr went on. Jon finally turned to Petyr.

"You don't belong down here." Jon remarked calmly. The starks crypts were a sacred place.

"Forgive me. We have never talked properly. I wanted to remedy that." Petyr offered kindly.

"I have nothing to say to you." Jon corrected

"Not even thank you?" PEtyr countered and Caro scoffed "If it weren't for me you'd have been slaughtered at that battlefield. You have many enemies, My King, but I swear to you I'm not one of them. I love Sansa as I loved her mother." Petyr declared but Jon grabbed Petyr by the throat and pushed him against the wall. Petyr gasped out choking for breath scratching at Jon's hand to release him. A smile curved Riekas face.

"Touch my sister and I'll kill you myself." Jon declared before letting him go. He noticed Riekas smile at the door. He pulled her into a hug leading her away.

"Sansa is still an idiot." Rieka remarked. "Keeping baelish away is one thing. Keeping sansa away from him thats another."

"Did Jon leave?" Podrick questioned.

"Yep. You are looking at the new lady of winterfell. Possibly queen of the north in jons absence."  Rieka agreed with a little spin "sansa is in such a pissy mood but thats really her default so before all the duties come rushing in..." rieka loved that big goofy smile on podricks face when he knew he was getting lucky. It was almost as good as the sex itself. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders kissing that big smile.

+

Men were working in the courtyard rolling carts of hay and carrying water. A blacksmith was working the forge things were getting back to normal it seemed. Rieka, Sansa, Petyr, Yohn Royce and Maester wolkan were standing on the upper level of the courtyard having a discussion on winterfells future. 

Rieka was the damn boss, for real not just in her head. These people were going to listen to her, they were commanded to by their king of the north, now she had to do them proud. Podrick smiled up at her, waving from the courtyard and Brienne whacked him, he stumbled back into the snow. 

"How much do we have?" Rieka questioned pulling her gaze away from a snowy podrick. 

"4,000 bushels, My Lady."

" What does that mean?" Sansa questioned.

"Not enough." Rieka answered simply.

"For the current occupants of the castle it's enough food for a year, perhaps more." Yohn offered

"What's the longest winter in the past 100 years?" Rieka questioned as they walked. Petyr had grown fond of Rieka, her leadership, her take charge attitude, he wished her had gotten her under his wing before all this, then he could be king of the north with her. 

"I'm not entirely certain. I'll check Maester Llewyn's records. He kept a copy of every raven scroll." Wolkan offered hesitantly. 

" You're telling me- by not telling me- that we don't have enough food, especially not if the armies of the north come back to defend Winterfell." Rieka corrected him. Sansa's eyes darted to Rieka anxiously. Sansa wasnt ready for such leadership, she wanted the metaphorical crown but she didnt know that she wanted the responsibilities of all the people on her hands. 

"No, My Lady, most likely not." Wolkan agreed

"Wonderful." Rieka agreed with a huff. "I dont like being in charge anymore." She mused.

"Being the boss is not a pleasure." Yohn offered. What would Ned say? Rieka pondered. Her father was the smartest person she had ever met but he had a soft heart. To survive this world you needed claws and teeth. She needed to be a wolf. SHe was a wolf damnit. Ghost howled out and Rickon cupped his hands around his mouth, howling with him. Rickon had it right.