10. Petyr

"Must be good food if it's crowded." Podrick remarked as they got to an inn, in the Vale. Podrick, Rieka and Brienne got seated at a table. A waitress approached them already pouring wine.

"Ale?" She questioned as she poured it already, she moved to another table doing the same, "Ale?" Rieka drank it down, she deserved it.

" Before we left, a maester gave you a raven scroll." Sansa recalled.

"You are becoming an observant young lady." Petyr remarked.

"My mother used to say, "dark wings, dark words"." Sansa informed him.

"An old saying. Inaccurate in this case."

"So it was good news.?" Sansa questioned.

"My marriage proposal has been accepted."

"I thought you still mourn the death of my beloved Aunt Lysa." Sansa mocked.

"Ale?"

"I'll have some." Sansa agreed.

" My lady!" Podrick declared.

" What is it?" Brienne grumbled.

" Sansa Stark." Podrick whispered and Brienne started to turn around. "Don't look!" Rieka was already getting up.

"You sure?"

"She's dyed her hair, but it's her. She's sitting with Petyr Baelish." Podrick agreed.

"Littlefinger?"'

" A bunch of knights with him." Podrick agreed.

"Bunch? What's a bunch? 100? 6? 20?" Brienne asked impatiently.

"Rieka-" Podrick whispered. "10, I think. Too many. My lady, I don't think this is the right--" Podrick began.

"Ready the horses." Brienne instructed.

" We only have one horse." Podrick reminded her.

"Find more." Brienne demanded.

" Do you like the taste?" Petyr questioned.

"I don't see what all the fuss is about. Why do men love it so much?" Sansa questioned.

"It gives some men courage." Petyr offered. Rieka was blocked by the guards but Petyr nodded and they moved aside.

"Does it give you courage?' Sansa questioned, Petyr offered her a tight smile.

"Hello Lady Rieka, it has been a long time my dear." Petyr offered.

"Sansa," RIeka breathed back. Sansa jumped up.

"Rieka!" Sansa exclaimed hugging her. "You are here! How are you here!"

"By luck and misery." Rieka remarked. "What are you doing with Petyr?"

"I'm glad you are okay, I'm sorry you didnt join us sooner, I did want to get you both out." Petyr remarked. "But here we are, all together."

"You... you got Sansa out?" Rieka whispered.

"He has been good to me." Sansa agreed.

"Thank you, Petyr." Rieka added. Sansa pulled her to a seat. Petyr had wanted to get Rieka, she was the elder, she was the heir to winterfell, but when Sansa showed up alone, Petyr knew that Sansa would more easily manipulated than Rieka but still, Sansa was not the heir. Rieka had grown a lot, she wasnt a child, sansa was still a child compared to her elder sister. A stunning woman before him and his eyes raked over her as Brienne came up.

"That's far enough." A guard corrected.

"Lord Baelish, Lady Sansa, my name is Brienne of Tarth."

"We've met. With Renly Baratheon. What did he say about you? He said, You're a loyalty comes free of charge. Someone appears to have paid quite a bit for it since then." Petyr recalled nodding to her sword. Petyr gestured to the knights to welcome her; Brienne went through and took a knee in front of Sansa. Rieka rolled her eyes, she wasnt happy with Brienne recently.

"Lady Sansa, before your mother's death, I was her sworn sword. I gave my word I would find you and protect you. I will shield your back and keep your council, and give my life for yours if need be. I swear it by the old gods and the new."

"Please, Lady Brienne. No need for such formality." Petyr offered and Brienne rose up. "You are Catelyn Stark's sworn sword?"

"I was." she agreed, Rieka reached over taking Petyr's ale.

"I want wine." Rieka mumbled leaning into sansa. "I can't believe you are here right now, Sansa."

"Strange. I knew Cat from the time we were children. She never mentioned you." Petyr remarked.

"It was after Renly's murder." Brienne agreed.

"Ah, yes. You were accused of killing him." Petyr recalled. Rieka rose a brow, she didnt recall that.

"I tried to save him."

" But you were accused." Petyr agreed.

"By men who didn't see what happened." Brienne clenched her jaw bitterly.

"Then what did happen?"

"He was murdered by a shadow. A shadow with a face of Stannis Baratheon."

"Magical." Rieka murmured. "She killed Sandor. Not that you liked him." Rieka added and Sansa did seem a bit saddened at that news. "He did try to save us." she reminded Sansa.

"Petyr saved me." Sansa corrected.

"So he did." RIeka agreed.

"A shadow? With a face?" Petyr scoffed "This woman swore to protect Renly; she failed. She swore to protect your mother; she failed. Why would I want somebody with your history of failure guiding Lady Sansa?"

"Why should you have any say in her affairs?" Brienne countered.

"Because I am her uncle. I married her Aunt Lysa shortly before my beloved's untimely death." Petyr answered.

"Hello uncle Petyr," Rieka purred pulling his food towards her.

"We're family now," Petyr agreed smiling back at her rieka before looking to Brienne. "-and you're an outsider. Forgive me, Lady Brienne, but experiences made me wary of outsiders." Petyr answered Always an answer for everything.

"Lady Sansa, if we can have a word alone--"

"No." Sansa answered.

"Please, my lady. If I could explain--" Brienne tried again.

"I saw you at Joffrey's wedding bowing to the king." Sansa corrected.

"Neither of us wanted to be there. Sometimes we don't have a choice."

"And sometimes we do. You should leave." Sansa demanded.

"Rieka-"