15. Precious

The story of us / Daemon/ Rhaenyra / Avalon Targaryen out now!

Rieka heard the whistle of a mockingbird and she stared back at it. It tweeted again. Rieka mocked it. Back and forth they copied each other.

"You are like Snow White. HOr Cinderelia!" Podrick remarked.

"Why is that?" Rieka countered confused.

"You sing with the animals." Podrick answered.

"Calling me a princess?" Rieka mused.

"Certainly pretty enough to be a princess." Podrick whispered. Rieka smiled bumping her hip into him. Avalon snapped up at the bird when he landed to close to her.

"Sword up. Stop flirting," Brienne demanded.

"Im getting you in trouble." Rieka remarked with a smirk that said she didnt care she would gladly get him into trouble for worse.

"Worth it." Podrick whispered kissing her quickly.

"Sword up!" Brienne demanded pulling her gaze from the tower.

"You waiting for rapunzel to let down her hair?" Rieka questioned following her gaze to the broken tower.

"Im waiting for a candle." She corrected.

"A candle?" Rieka countered.

"You will think it foolish and too trusting of me." Brienne remarked.

"You are an outsider in the north." Rieka agreed. "You asking north men for favors claiming to be good. Im just saying that you are probably not going to get any luck on that front."

"People might surprise you." Brienne corrected.

"Doubtful." Rieka countered. "Go on. Sword up Brienne," rieka sassed.

Podrick was getting better. Rieka was a good motivator and a motivation to work hard. Also not wanting to be knocked to the ground by Brienne. She didnt like to pull punches.

"Is it heavy?" Rieka questioned when they finished for the morning. "The axe?"

"Surprisingly light." Podrick remarked. He held it out to her.

"You trust me not to chop your head off?" She teased reaching for it. She remembered tyrion holding this axe how stupid and useless she felt going to sit with the women to pray while every capable or not capable man went to risk their lives. She handed it back to Podrick and he saw the fading memory in her eyes. It had been moons since she lost the baby lost that part of tyrion. It had been moons of not thinking about him wondering if he was okay. If he was alive. It had been moons falling for sweet and perfect podrick. He smiled kissing her cheek as he put the axe beside them.

"I miss him too." Podrick remarked as she hugged him. She rested her temple on his shoulder. She watched brienne stare at the broken tower willing something to happen. Rieka didnt move from podricks arms as she wagched Brienne stare endlessly it seemed.

"You keep staring at it like its going to move." Rieka remarked. Brienne rolled her eyes. "Its the broken tower. Been there for ages. Bran used to climb up there-" she stopped herself.

"Before his fall." Podrick realized.

"He fell from that tower. Its not a good tower Brienne. It brings nothing but pain and hatred." Rieka informed her. "Stop staring at it like its going to be a saving grace. It'll only bring you disappointment."

"Im waiting for a candle." Brienne countered.

"The fire not good enough?" Rieka questioned.

"When the candle moves to the window. It is time." Brienne answered vaguely.

"For what?" Rieka questioned.

"I thought you didnt care? It will only bring pain and hatred and disappointment remember?" Brienne sassed.

"I could probably walk right in." Rieka remarked. "I could probably-"

"We are not risking you." Podrick corrected. "You are too precious."

Precious Rieka thought as he grabbed her hand. Rieka smiled her head cocked to the side.

"But also brave and smart and-" podrick added.

"I love your praise," Rieka assured leaning into him. "But I like your lips on me more." Rieka whispered kissing him.

Podrick had gotten used to being so close to Rieka. Wanting to reach out and touch her. He kissed her gently. Touched her gently. Touched her as if he was going to get in trouble. Like Ned was going to come back from the dead and deem that podrick wasnt good enough for his Rieka.

His hand grazing her arm. Up her thigh a feather light touch. He liked her lips on him. How her fingers traced down his jaw. How their lips molded, noses brushing together, breathing her in.

Podrick liked that Avalon liked him to. Liked that the wolf ran to him when she saw him. Liked that although direwolves were deemed as dangerous Rieka had trained and tamed her wolf. Become a friend with the beast. Podrick got Avalon to trust him too. Thought of avalon as his pup at times. Like the wolf was their child. Which was stupid. So stupid. It was a wolf not a child. But avalon had a personality. Had a twinkle in her eyes. Had a howl that made brienne shiver still thinking Rieka was about to set her off.

Another useless day passed. Rieka didnt like that they were doing nothing. But Brienne just stared at the tower. Rieka lay beside Podrick his arm under her head as they stared up at the stars.

"When this is over... I want to find Jon." Rieka whispered. "My brother..." podrick nodded squeezing her shoulder.

"We will get you home." Podrick assured.

"I dont know where home is." Rieka countered rolling to her side to look at him.

"We find a new home." Podrick offered.

"Together?" Rieka questioned. Podricks smile widened kissing her.

"Together."