Rumble

trigger warning: there will obviously be fighting/violence and it's a possibility i'll make it very descriptive, also family trauma

Dallas

I walked into the Curtis's 2 hours before the rumble. Kenzie was already sitting on the chair, huge smile on her face as she spotted me in the doorway. I couldn't help the grin that followed as I spotted hers.

"We were wonderin' if you'd be here," Two-Bit said. "I ever miss a rumble?" I asked, sitting down with Mackenzie, putting my arm around her shoulder.

She leaned over to kiss my cheek and I didn't even move away. Any other broad I'd move away from them, never let them do that in front of the gang, but Mackenzie man, she was different. Not in the way that she wasn't just any normal girl, she just made me feel different than the others.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She asked me. "You," I said. The noise of all the guys yelling drowned out as she stared into my eyes.

"Really," She said. "Yeah man, happens a lot I guess," I said. She smiled and looked away as her cheeks changed colors. "Bob tried to make me stay home tonight," She said, grabbing my hand. She drew circles around my palm as she got closer to me.

"Why?" I asked. "Some lame attempt at being a good brother," She said. "Want me to kick his ass tonight?" I asked. She smiled before shaking her head.

"It's okay," She said. "He's an asshole tho,"

"Yeah," I said. "One time he dragged me down the stairs by my hair," She said. "I got carpet burn across my entire face,"

"What kind of nut job is he?" I asked. "He's done a lot of insane things," She shrugged. "Like what?" I asked. "Banged on my door trying to break it down because he thought I stole his radio," She said.

"One time, he smashed my guitar because I talked to someone he didn't like, thought he needed to teach me a lesson,"

"Kenz that's like mental hospital behavior man," I said. "Yeah, we're used to it tho," She said.

I didn't say anything. But in that moment I decided I'd beat him to a pulp for anything he's ever done to her. I leaned down and kissed her without another word.

Mackenzie

Talking about my brother was never fun for me to do. He was always perceived as a perfect angel but my parents, by every soc that existed. The only person who could see him for who he truly is was me.

Dally telling me that he had mental hospital behavior both hurt, and made me feel better. He's my brother and I love him, but he makes my life miserable. I hate that my own brother is crazy like  that, but Dally's right. He is. I can't change it.

I looked at Dally, laughing at the guys. Liv, happily staring at Johnny and him staring right back. Ponyboy, nose deep in a book, smiling down at it. Darry, showing his muscles off but trying to be deserted discreet about it. Sodapop and Steve, arguing about their card game. Two-Bit, seeing how fast he could chug a beer.

That was family. Not blood, just people you feel safe with. To be yourself around.

Family didn't have to be the people you lived with, the people you called Mom and Dad, it was the people you'd die for. The people you love and know they love you back without ever saying it.

To be a part of something so amazing, was a true gift. The only issue now, was getting it to last.

"What're you so deep in thought about over there?" Two-Bit asked me. "The rumble," I said. "Oh we're gonna kick their asses," He said back, slipping one of his shoes on. "Hell yeah man," Dally agreed.

"Speaking of, we better get goin'," Darry said. I looked up at Dally. "Please be careful," I said. "I'm never careful doll," He said. I frowned and he sighed.

"I won't let them get as many punches alright?" He said. "Thank you," I said. He winked before walking out the door, the rest of the guys followed. "They're gonna be okay right?" I asked. "Johnny and Ponyboy are the only ones I'm worried about," Liv replied. "Guess all we can do is wait now," I said. "Yep," She sighed.

Dallas

Standing in front of the socs, then staring at us like we were trash, made me want to tear each of them to pieces. But Bob fucking Sheldon.

He stood right in front of me and by god he was lucky I hadn't gotten a hold of him yet. Darry and some soc were talking. We waited for the first punch to be thrown. The second it was, I grabbed hold of Bob.

I punched him over and over again. Gripping his shirt so tight my knuckles turned white, but he couldn't get out of my grasp.

My right hand went numb the more punches I threw. He got a few good ones in, my nose was bleeding, eye would bruise, but I would look squeaky clean compared to him.

All I could see was red. Punch after punch, the blood spread all over my hand. It dropped down his face, landing on the grass.

I hit him harder and harder every time. He wasn't even fighting back anymore.

You wouldn't recognize who he was if you saw him. His face was swollen and blood covered it. It had gotten all over my chest and my jacket. But even then, I couldn't stop hitting him. I heard people yelling my name, telling me to stop. He'd had enough. I was gonna kill him.

Darry grabbed hold of me and threw me off of him. "Are you out of your damn mind Dallas?!" He yelled. "He's practically got not skin showing,"

"Whatever," I said. "Let's go," I said. We'd won the rumble. I didn't feel any better about it though. All I knew is he'd hurt Mackenzie and he deserved hell for that. When we walked back into the house, she ran to my side.

"What the hell," She said. "Where'd all this blood come from, are you alright?" She asked. "It ain't mine," I said.

Her face changed, she wasn't concerned anymore, she was worried. Not for me. For the other guy. "Let's get you cleaned up," She said. I followed her to the bathroom without a word.

sorry it took me so long to update, it's been a rough week:( i'll do my best to update with school and other things tho