Graduation

Mackenzie

"Dallas sit down, you aren't in any condition to be helping carry boxes," Darry said. "I gotta help somehow," Dally said. "Help by sitting on your ass and watching," I said.

"Yes ma'am," He said and sat on the couch. "If she gets to talk to you like that does that mean I do too?" Two-Bit asked. "If you want a broken nose," Dally said, causing Two to frown. I laughed and pat Two-Bit's head. "You guys are all gonna call every week right?" I said. "Of course we are," Soda said. "Besides, until Dally is in the condition to move there with ya, we have to update you on his stupid ass decisions," Steve said. "I'll kill you as my first," Dally said.

"We still have to graduate remember?" Liv asked, walking into the room. "What time is it?" I asked. "A quarter to noon, you better get going," Darry said.

My eyes widened and I ran to my room to put on my dress. It was black and flowed when I spun around. I grabbed my cap and gown and looked at them nervously as I slipped them on. "Is it weird to feel like a proud father?" Darry asked, leaning on the door frame. "Is it weird that it makes me happy for you to say that?" I replied. He smiled. "You know kid, I wasn't too sure about a soc hangin' around us at first but uh," He said. "You really won me over, seeing you succeed like this, couldn't be more proud of ya,"

"Thank you Darrel," I said. "I couldn't have done it without you," I added. "Oh sure you could, but thanks for sayin' that," He said. "You're livin' out my dream, live it to the fullest and don't forget to do something stupid once in awhile,"

"I promise," I said. He wrapped me into one of his famous bear hugs and I couldn't help but feel a lump form in my throat.

"Don't get rid of my bed incase I wanna come visit," I said. "It's not goin' anywhere," He said. I pulled out of the hug. "I can't cry yet it'll ruin my make up, crying is for 2100 hours," I said. He smiled. "Alright fine, but we better go or you'll be late," He said.

We all ran out and piled into cars. Steve and Liv on each side of me, wearing their caps and gowns. I grabbed both of their hands. "Can't believe we're actually graduating," Steve said. "Yeah, especially you," I said. He rolled his eyes. "I thought for a second there you might let us influence you in your schoolwork but you proved us wrong," He said.

"Never," I said. We pulled up to the school and Darry took pictures of the three of us like a proud father.

"Okay, you guys go find seats and we'll see you when we have our diplomas," I said. "Congratulations angel," Dally whispered, kissing my head. "Thank you," I said. "Don't trip!" Soda said. "Dally whack him with your crutches," I replied. He did as I asked and Soda whacked him back. "Don't hit the cripple!" I yelled and he stuck his tongue out at me.

~

"Mackenzie Sheldon,"

I walked up the stairs and shook the principals hand, taking my diploma with the other. "Thank you," I said. I shook a few more hands and switched the sides of my tassel.

"Oliva Anderson,"

"Steve Randle,"

The cheering from friends and family was almost overwhelming. Graduating from high school was something I always looked forward to. Graduating meant going to Harvard. Harvard was my dream. It's always been my dream. That's never changed.

But looking at Dally cheering in the crowd, I didn't want to leave. Going to Harvard now, without him, it was something I was dreading.

As excited as I was, going anywhere without him seemed like a a hell perfectly designed for me.

After everybody had walked, we all went to find our families. The first person to throw their arms around me was Dally. "I am so proud of you Kenz," He said, kissing my cheek. "I love you," I said. "I love you more," He said.

"CONGRATS YOU BITCH," Liv said, jumping on my back. "CONGRATS YOU SLUT," I replied poking her sides.

"Can you believe it? 18 years of life and we still aren't sick of each other," I said as the two of us stood up. "No I want out," She said. I shoved her as Darry wrapped his arms around both of us. Soda followed and eventually it turned into a giant bear hug with everyone, all of us trying to pull Dally inside.

"Mackenzie,"

We all stopped the hugging and looked to see my Dad. "Dad, you came," I said. "I wanted to see my little girl graduate," He said. I walked over to him and he opened his arms, asking for a hug. I gave him a quick hug. "Thanks for coming," I said. "I'm really proud of you," He said. "Thanks," I said. "I won't keep you long I just wanted to give you this," He said, handing me an envelope. "Open that tonight okay? Before you leave," He said. "Thank you, I'm glad you're here Dad," I said. I hugged him once more before waving goodbye.

"No tears yet?" Soda asked. "Not til we get to the car where nobody can see me," I said. He gave me a comforting smile and put his arm around my shoulder.

"Quit moving in on my girl," Dally said. "My friend," Soda corrected. "Can we go to Bucks? I'm ready to have my last night of fun living here," I said. "Let's go," They said.