32: jealousy, jealousy

Karl Jacobs

--

I watch the other side of  the cafeteria as they all sing Happy Birthday to Harmony. She's glowing more than usual, her teeth are brighter, her hair is longer. She's somehow become even more perfect. I can see the way Sapnap is looking at her. His eyes don't leave her and his cheeks are flushed red. They're the picture perfect couple, they could have a whole movie about them and the entire world would love them endlessly.

I leave the cafeteria knowing no one will notice my exit. Ever since I stopped going near Sapnap i've become invisible again. People only see me when i'm beside Lola, even then no one is there for me they're there for Lola. She hasn't been around much since the wedding, her family has many after wedding traditions and I don't want to keep her from spending time with her family. Right now she's away for the week at her cousins house, this trip has been planned for a few months but I didn't expect it to come so soon. I didn't think i'd care for her as much as I do now, when she first mentioned going away it didn't bother me, but now that she's gone I can't help but miss her. 

"Karl!" I look up to see Aaron. "Where have you been?"

"Around" I shrug. How do I tell him I don't want him here in a nice way?

"We've missed you" he uses the word 'we' like he's standing there with someone else. It's just him. He pulls out the chair across from me and sits down. "So, what's been happening?"

"Nothing really, just focused" I nod to the book i'm reading still trying to hint that I want to be alone.

"Right" he says while looking at the book with a frown. "Anyway, where's my girl?"

"Your girl?" I shut the book now so he has my full attention.

"Yea, Lola. Where's she at?" he smirks. 

"Oh, she's at her cousins" I pause. "She obviously isn't your girl anymore, so I don't think she'd like you saying that".

"Please we all know who she'll be running to when you leave" he laughs but I don't make a sound.

"Even if I wasn't with her, she still wouldn't like you saying that. Lola is a person, she's not "your" girl or anyone's girl really" the bell rings and I mumble a bye before leaving him.

I hear him say my name as I walk away but I act like I didn't hear him. I make my way to my next class hoping he isn't following me. I always knew he was never my friend, but it does shock me how evil he can be sometimes. I can feel my blood boil every time I think about the conversation I just had. And it boils even hotter when I step into the room to see my class is combined with another class today.

Harmony and Sapnap are sitting together in my usual seat. She's smirking up at me as I walk to sit somewhere else, I notice Sapnaps hand resting on her thigh as he looks through the worksheet on the desk. I've never thought of Harmony as a bad or mean person. If anything i've always treated her as someone i'd like to be friends with. I'm constantly jealous of her, she lives the life I dream of. But I can't say I didn't enjoy the few talks we had when we were a group. Seeing her smirk at me now, knowing she's purposely keeping my best friend away from me, I realise that she's just evil. Sapnap will never see it and he'll never believe it if he hears it from anyone else, I know now that he puts her on a pedestal above everybody else.

"Karl, been a while" Percy smiles at me as I sit down. 

"Hey Percy" my voice comes out hoarse, like I just finished crying. 

"Are you running back here now that Nick has a girlfriend?" he laughs. 

"I guess" I joke with him, he laughs more. "It's not like you've been around though, you went missing for like a year".

"Noah didn't tell you?" Percy frowns.

"Noah moved away a few months ago" I pause. "Was he meant to tell us something?"

"I thought he told you before he left" he says it more to himself. "Anyway, I was in hospital again".

"Oh, are you okay?" I look at him properly now and notice the scar next to his eye. Percy and I have known each other since we were little kids, i've always known he's had a hard life. He used to live on my street, he was always around at family parties and I was always at his. Sitting here now makes me feel very guilty, how could I have not been there for him when he needed me? I was always so focused on Sapnap.

"I'm fine now. I'm here" he laughs lightly. "Noah was there for me, Karl. You don't need to feel bad, we've never been best friends or anything" he pats my back. 

Class officially starts and the room falls silent. I work on the group sheet with Percy, he tells me about everything going on in his life now. He gives me updates on Noah and his other friend Henry. I tell him about Sapnap and Lola. I don't mention the fake dating, and I don't mention Harmony being the reason why I don't hang out with Sapnap anymore. I know that Percy is smart, he probably already knows that Harmony is the reason. He asks about my family, he specifically asks how my cousin Sarah is. Sarah moved away four years ago, but before that we all knew Percy had the biggest kid crush on her. No one ever knew if Sarah liked him too, I like to think that she did though. 

"If your free Saturday you should come by my house. Noah is coming down with his new girlfriend, we're just going to hang out for a bit" Percy smiles. "You can bring Lola if she's back by then".

"I'll mention it to her" I nod. "If she doesn't join i'll still come by, i'd like to see Noah again".

The bell rings for the end of class and I leave school thinking about all the old memories I share with Percy. I'd do anything to go back to then, when we were just little kids.

--

HEY !!!!!!!

how are you all?

i had a random thought while writing today... ive never told you all how i imagine my characters look LMAOOOO but its so okay because now i get to ask you all... who do you imagine as them??????? im so curious 

ive always imagined harmony as madelyn cline... i dont know if ive ever made that obvious

ANYWAY

i hope you all enjoyed this chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everyone give percy a very very warm welcome he's very...... fun....... 

i have a lot on this week so im updating now just in case i cant later on. i will update as soon as i can tho i promise <3

ily all very much

stay safe <3