There's No Place Like Home

Will couldn't sleep. It was his first night away from the castle and he couldn't get used to the noise of nature. In Halt's cabin, the crickets outside seemed to chirp louder, the owls hooted more boldly, and even the wind seemed to whistle against Halt's windows more harshly. But more than that, he was homesick.

He missed his friends. He missed creeping out into the castle at night with Jenny. He missed dragging George out of bed to see the stars. He even missed Horace and his constant comebacks at each other.

He shifted over to his side, so he was facing the open window. The cool night air brushed against his closed eyes in a soothing way, but just that moment, Will didn't feel soothed. He felt almost sick. Depressed.

Opening his eyes, Will shifted again. The cabin creaked and groaned, as if crying to Will. He tried to ignore the noise, but the more he heard the sound, the faster the tears came. He wiped them angrily away, though. He was fifteen, for heaven's sake! He wasn't supposed to be crying! He was supposed to be tougher. Like a real Ranger. Rangers didn't cry. And with that thought, he fell into a troubled sleep.

=======================================================================

The sunlight practically shone through Will's eyelids. Groggily, he picked his head off the pillow and stretched. His jaw was sore, perhaps from the way he slept. He had slept horribly, waking up every couple of hours.

"Great way to start Ranger training, Will" he thought angrily.

It was about ten minutes later when he finished dressing himself in his new uniform. By the time he came out to the kitchen, halt was already sitting by the table and sipping coffee. When Will walked in, Halt raised an eyebrow.

"Slept a little late, huh?" Halt said dryly.

Will didn't bother to say anything. Besides, he had a feeling no excuse would work for him. He sat across from Halt and waited. Thirty seconds. A minute. Finally , Will asked timidly, "Is there breakfast?"

Halt gave a glare. Will leaned back, a little nervous. Did he do something wrong?

"Sure there's breakfast. If you want to make it yourself."

Will glanced around nervously. "I – i don't know how to cook anything."

Halt rolled his eyes. "As usual. Boys," he added in an undertone, shaking his head. Then, in a louder voice, "alright. Get up. You're making eggs."

It took Will about twenty minutes to make them. Halt didn't help in the slightest except for instructing him what to do. At one point, Will cracked an egg on the floor (he dropped it), and had to clean it up. At another moment, he spilled some milk on the counter. By the time he sat down with his eggs, (which were slightly burned anyways), his stomach rumbled like thunder.

"So boy, let's hear it," Halt began, "why did you have trouble sleeping last night?"

Will choked a little on his eggs. How did Halt know? "What? I didn't –"

"You were talking in your sleep," Halt replied shortly.

Will blushed. He knew he had some habit of doing that, but it wasn't so often. "I – uh – I was a little... homesick," he mumbled.

Halt took a sip of his coffee. Will suddenly realized that might've been rude to say.

"Sorry," Will apologized, "I didn't mean –"

"No, it's alright," Halt muttered. "It's normal. It'll go away soon."

And with that, he stood up and left the room. Will stared outside, trying to figure out what just happened. Did he insult Halt in some way? He certainly didn't mean to. But strangely enough, Will felt better telling Halt about his homesickness. He didn't realize it then, but he felt comfortable in telling Halt things. Secrets. Fears. His feelings. Halt was easy to talk to, in a way. Almost... almost like a father.