It's Always Been You

Everything hurts.

He didn't want to open his eyes. What was the point? The more he would be conscious the more pain he'd feel. His body was breaking. He couldn't move any part. His mind was fractioning. Malfunctioning. All he could hear were replays of her. And it hurt. All the good moments, all the bad ones. Ones from she and him were young, and then ones from then. The constant lump in his throat made it hard for him to swallow.

Alyss was gone.

Alyss was gone.

That's all that is relying on his head.

Will rolled over, pulling his blanket higher to his chin. Her pillow was right beside him. His eyes stung. He coughed and found he couldn't stop.

"No – no! Alyss!" a deep and loud sob echoed off the cabin walls.

But no one responded.

A flash of memories.

First meeting.

Children playing together.

Choosing Day.

First kiss.

First date in the woods.

Pranking their friends.

Norgate fief.

Meeting after Skandia.

Another sob escapes Will's lips.

Their wedding day.

Dancing with Alyss at night, Ebony trying to get between them.

Her laugh.

Holding baby Maddie and wishing for a baby.

"I love you."

"We'll never be apart."

"It's always been you."

Will closed his eyes, a mix of sadness, bittersweetness, and love filling him. Calming him. Angering him.

"I'm still here, Will," he heard his wife whisper, "just because that fire took me, don't be an idiot. I'll always be with you. Now get up and be the Ranger you were meant to be."

He took a deep breath and obeyed his wife. 

Whoa. This was a sad one. The song above isn't mine. But it is absolutely the most beautiful song and I highly recommend it. This one was a shorter story, but hey, can' t always be so long, right? Thanks for reading.