Payback

JAYDEN'S POV.

One of my safe havens - Kat's bar. Only on this particular night was it a horror show.

The bar was a boisterous and chaotic scene, especially for a Friday night. The place was overloaded, with a lively crowd taking over the dance floor and every available space. The moment I stepped into the bar, I had a strong urge to leave, almost like the universe was tugging on me, yet chose to ignore it. I had come to this bustling bar to drown my sorrows and maybe find someone new to spend the night with, but now, with them here, it felt like the universe was playing a cruel trick on me.

I sat on a barstool, nursing a cocktail, and trying to blend in with the crowd. I had yet to see Kat tonight. This night was the worst. My eyes were fixated on the table in the far corner of the bar where Isabel sat with her date. She looked just as amazing, if not better, than she did when I saw her this afternoon while leaving for her date. Her cute smile always had the same effect on me, but now it was directed at someone else. Maybe it was the alcohol or maybe it was the well-dressed gorgeous bit - woman sat next to her, almost as if she wanted to merge into her, which had at me lowest point right now. Regret and guilt gripped me as I chugged my drink and waited for Kat to show up, or I would definitely self-destruct. They laughed together, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy. How could she have moved on so quickly?

I had hoped to find solace in this place, to forget about my heartache and lose myself in the night. But now, seeing her again with someone else, the bitterness was hard to swallow. I had counted on the anonymity of this bar to shield me from this kind of emotional confrontation, but fate had other plans.

Taking a deep breath, I signaled the bartender for another drink. I knew I had come here to find a distraction, and it seemed like that plan was about to be put to the test. My heartache had led me to this bar, but my determination to move on would carry me through whatever challenges the night would bring.

I couldn't phantom why my life at the moment was so complicated. I mean, everything was fine up until Isabel came back into my life. It was pretty much my fault though, if I didn't think we could be at least friends since she was my neighbor, this wouldn't be happening. The kisses, the feelings, my indecision, and the time spent together all created a poisonous trap for us. A trap that inevitably destroyed our relationship.

I shut my eyes, reminiscing as I waited for my drink. I could almost feel her lips slowly moving against mine. It was so calming, and for the first time in weeks, it felt like all stress and worry left me. It felt just like the dream I had. It was so surreal. It was a conflicting experience, akin to both heaven and hell, a bittersweet sensation. The hint of alcohol on her lips only fueled my desire to kiss her even more.

These stupid emotions started bubbling again. I absolutely despised these feelings. Why can't this just be not complicated for once. I could be happy and skipping. I'm not confused, hurt, sad... and emotionally unstable.

The plan for the evening was to indulge in some drinks. While it would have been more enjoyable with Emily around, she had a family commitment, leaving me to spend the evening alone. Kat had yet to show her face, too. It wasn't like she could hang out with me all night anyway.

Glancing over to the dreaded corner made my stomach drop as my mouth dried up. My body grew aflame as I couldn't take my eyes away from the scene in my line of sight. I tried to ignore them, but how could you when they were practically fucking at the table. I groaned out loud. Of all the possible locations they could have gone why did they romantic evening have to lead here. I decided to pretend neither of them exist. I would follow through with my original plan to get under someone new just like she was currently doing. Nevertheless I couldn't shake the feeling of this entire date situation being a total hoax and a set up just to get back at me. Or was this just a coincidence? This would count as an extremely unlikely twist of fate. However, considering Isabel was also a friend of the bar owner, then it was very likely.