Chapter 9 : I know a secret

"You are crying?" Jungkook asked. 

It was more of a remark than a question, because he could easily see Seokjin's tearful face who, sobbing, didn't answer him.

"Jin, I was kidding when I said I was going to kill you, did you really believe me?" he said with a lightness that contrasted with his previous harshness.

He started laughing frantically and Seokjin was no more reassured: he had the impression that Jungkook had suddenly gone crazy.

"It- it's not funny! Jungkook, you're scaring me!" he sobbed.

"Why?" replied Jungkook whose smile and look did not have the same expression.

"B-because you're weird! And what is this smell? It stinks," Seokjin sobbed while sniffling.

"That must be it."

Jungkook blew a puff of smoke in his face and Seokjin had a coughing fit immediately when he inhaled it.

"You're really fragile, it wasn't a joke! You're not able to handle a simple puff of weed without choking, my poor Jin!" Jungkook seemed amused.

Stunned, Seokjin, his eyes still teary, realized the reason for Jungkook's strange attitude. Accustomed to the semi-darkness, he could see that Jungkook's eyes were glowing wildly.

"J-jungkook, are you doing drugs?!"

"Yeah, it feels sooo good! When I do, my life no longer seems so miserable."

"But it's illegal and dangerous! Jungkook, I studied this at school, it only feels good for a while and then it destroys your health, you had to stop! Besides, you can't do drugs, you're an athlete!"

Jungkook chuckled.

"Is that what worries you the most? Ha ha, you're so funny! But don't worry about me, I'm still the best though, you have to believe that it's not that bad. Maybe they lied to us just to keep us from finding happiness."

"This is not happiness!" Seokjin protested.

"Well, that looks like happiness to me anyway and it's the only one I know so I'm going to keep going until true happiness decides to show up. If it exists."

Shocked by these words, Seokjin understood that Jungkook's distress was deeper and older than what he had just learned in the forest. Otherwise, he would not already be in possession of drugs that he was obviously used to consuming. His dismay seemed powerful. Yet, Seokjin would never have guessed it

"Your life looks miserable too Jin, don't you want to try?" Jungkook said, handing him his joint.

"No!" Seokjin said immediately. "Jungkook, you are not well, stay there, I'm going to get your mom."

He didn't want to deal with Mr. Jeon and Mrs. Kim in the forest again, even if they were closer to them than Mrs Jeon and the other guests. The best solution for Jungkook was still for him to bring his mother to take care of him. It was what he would have wanted for himself if something bad had happened to him. And Jungkook really didn't look good, even though he seemed immersed in a mild euphoria. He was playing a dangerous game.

"Which mom?" Jungkook chuckled.

"Jungkook-"

"Which of the two sisters, Jin? Ji-Ha or Ji-Won? Which one do you want to call?" Jungkook cut more roughly as he moved closer to Seokjin. "The cuckold or the liar? Oh, but wait: they are both liars since my mom knows very well that she did not carry me in her womb and that she did not tell me anything!"

"Jungkook, calm down," Seokjin said, stepping back, "you are not able to listen to me at the moment, I understand, stay here while I'll go get Mrs. Jeon, okay?"