Chapter 4 : We do not choose our family

When they were far enough away, Seokjin turned and gave Jungkook a smile, which made Taehyung turn around too.

"Don't talk to him," he told Seokjin. "He and his family don't deserve your attention. They despise you, you heard them."

"But Jungkook didn't say anything bad about me, he's my friend," Seokjin told him kindly, as Jungkook nodded in agreement, "and besides, we haven't spoken since our match, one month ago. I would have liked us to exchange phone numbers after the match and stay in touch, but nothing went as planned..." he added to Jungkook with a touch of regret.

"It sure didn't end very well. How have you been since last time, Jin?" Jungkook asked, as Taehyung gave him an annoyed look.

"I'm fine, thank you," Seokjin replied.

"I didn't know you had asthma, I hope you don't blame me for making you run like that, it's kind of my fault you had an asthma attack."

Taehyung rolled his eyes but Seokjin shook his head frantically.

"No, no, not at all, please don't think that. You couldn't have known, I should have been more careful. In any case, you deserved your victory, I really wanted to congratulate you and I can finally do it so I'm happy!"

As Jungkook, surprised but happy, was about to thank him, Taehyung pulled the rug out from under him:

"Stop it, Jin, we've already talked about this! This asshole doesn't deserve his victory if he beat you after you left. He's just a damn cheater who only thinks about winning. He's unscrupulous and we agreed that you can't be friends with this guy."

"Now I'm offended," Jungkook claimed, placing a hand over his heart. "I am truly sorry for what happened but I thought saving your life would be enough to make you forgive me and stay friends with me, but since Taehyung's word seems so important to you I guess we have no chance of being friends after all."

"Wait, saving me?" Seokjin said, perplexed.

"Yes, didn't you realize you almost died? Someone had to save you while waiting for help to arrive. You might not have survived otherwise, because you weren't breathing at some point."

"You mean it's... you're the one who revived me?!" Seokjin exclaimed, stunned, looking for confirmation from Taehyung: "Is it true, Tae?"

Taehyung turned his head away without answering and Jungkook answered for him:

"Of course, it's true, and there's proof, since everyone who attended saw it, but I guess Taehyung, the 'prince' of your school as you said, asked them not to talk about it in front of you."

Seokjin turned to Taehyung who seemed to be sulking, like a child who has been caught making a mistake. Did he hate Jungkook that much for hiding this from him? He remembered how Taehyung had been so keen to convince him that Jungkook meant him harm and that he couldn't be friends with him.

But until now, Seokjin thinking that they didn't know each other personally and that Taehyung had just seen him as a perfect culprit for the asthma attack he had suffered and for which Taehyung had felt helpless.

"I can't believe it..." Seokjin said, unhappy at his ignorance of what had happened. He was mad at Taehyung.

"If you don't believe me, you'll probably believe a video," Jungkook told him. "Since there were a lot of people, there were also videos that then went viral on social media, but now that I see your phone," he said, seeing Seokjin's old phone emerge from his pocket, "I understand that you haven't seen anything if no one has been nice or honest enough to show you. You want to see?"

"Why show him since you already told him?" Taehyung retorted immediately, not wanting Seokjin to relive what he had experienced that day.

"I want to see!" Seokjin protested, quickly, approaching Jungkook who had taken out his smartphone but stopped when he heard Taehyung. "Please, Jungkook, show me."