Chapter 16: He really hates me

"He's fine now, he's just sleeping, so calm down," Namjoon said, seeing Taehyung in all his states looking at Seokjin from head to toe, stopping at his red and swollen face which was starting to turn purplish in places.

"THIS IS NOT FINE!" Taehyung yelled pointing at Seokjin's face.

"No, but he'll be fine, don't dramatize the situation. It surely could have been tragic, I am aware, but it wasn't," replied Namjoon, whose calm contrasted with Taehyung's agitation.

Seeing his brother so calm in such a situation didn't help matters.

"WHERE WERE YOU?!" Taehyung yelled. "I sent Jin to you because I knew he would be safe with you but you weren't there and no one could find you anywhere else. SO WHERE WERE YOU?!!!"

Namjoon was about to make a scathing remark at him but he suddenly noticed that Taehyung, proud Taehyung, had his eyes shining with tears and his fists clenched, but more to hold back tears than to hit him. He was visibly devastate to have seen Seokjin on that railing and must have been terrified of seeing him fall.

Namjoon knew about his brother's trauma and even if he openly made fun of it most of the time, especially because he considered that Taehyung was responsible for his own suffering, he knew that it was serious and that his parents had underestimated the aftereffects that this childhood incident had left on Taehyung.

He walked over to his bed and laid Seokjin down carefully. There wasn't much left of his impeccable appearance from earlier in the evening : his suit was messy and stained with alcohol, there was no longer any trace of his bow tie, his hair was disheveled and his red face looked like it had changed shape because it was swollen in places.

In a few hours he had gone from being the happiest boy in the world to have been invited to such a party with his friends, to a person whose dreams had just been destroyed. But Seokjin, deeply asleep, still ignored that.

Namjoon sighed deeply.

"I should have been there, I regret. What happened is my fault."

"Perfectly!!" Taehyung yelled. "Wait, what did you say?"

Taehyung, just as shocked by his brother's statement as his brother had been by his tears, looked at him in astonishment. Namjoon admitting his wrongs? It was something he had never seen before. Under other circumstances, he would have seen this as his first crushing victory over his brother after almost fifteeen years of living together.

But after what had happened to Seokjin on his watch - after all, it was he who had invited him to attend a high society party he should never have set foot in, not Namjoon - he realized he couldn't blame everything on his brother.

"I'd like to say it's your fault but I'm the one who left him with Jungkook because I was angry that they get along so well," Taehyung replied angrily.

"What does Jungkook have to do with this?" Namjoon wondered but looking at his brother's face, he realized that he had the mark of a blow to the chin and understood that he must have fought with Jungkook.

It wasn't unusual for there to be tension between Taehyung and Jungkook but he didn't understand how Jungkook could be connected to what happened to Seokjin according to Taehyung.

"That bastard is a damn druggie. He drugged Jin, that's what put him in this state," Taehyung explained, although he didn't know why Seokjin's face was so red and swollen.

Although he was stunned by this revelation, Namjoon quickly pulled himself together. His brother was giving him a way out of putting the blame entirely on him. It was unexpected, luck smiled on him.