Chapter 40: You have a perfectly functioning heart

A/N: It's just a long philosophical conversation if you have time to read it.

__________

When the nurse returned from her office, Seokjin helped her get Jungkook to lie down in the bed and then sat at his bedside on a stool next to the bed. They stayed like that without speaking for a moment, Jungkook's half-closed eyes seeming to indicate that he was going to fall asleep soon.

Taking advantage of the fact that Seokjin was in the infirmary, the nurse told him that his medicines for this month had been delivered and gave him a bag with the small cardboard box that contained them.

"Thank you," Seokjin thanked her gratefully.

Once a month in fact, Seokjin's mother had his medicines delivered to him so that he continued to take his treatment correctly and that ventolin is always available.

Because unlike other students, Seokjin couldn't go home on weekends, waiting for the holidays to do so. Taehyung stayed with him and never came home, saying that nothing made him want to come home.

Namjoon came home at least once a month to see his parents and Seokjin had understood that when he was in middle school and Namjoon was in high school, all the times he said he came home from school once a month to see him was a lie: it was indeed his parents and not him that he took the time to visit.

Seokjin sighed and pushed Namjoon out of his thoughts, focusing back on Jungkook.

"Don't worry Jungkook," Seokjin told him before he fell asleep, "Tae seems like he hates you, but deep down he cares about you, I'm sure."

"One: what makes you think I'm worried," Jungkook replied hoarsely, "two: it's not just an impression, Taehyung hates me and it's mutual, you are naive to believe that he cares even a little about me."

Seokjin frowned.

"This is the second time I've been called naive this morning and I don't like it," he replied, frustrated remembering that Yoongi had told him that too. "You can proclaim loudly and clearly that you hate each other unconditionally, but I believe that deep down, there is a part of you that doesn't really hate the other. Just because your parents hate each other doesn't mean you and your cousin have to hate each other too, it's ridiculous!"

"You talked to Yoongi recently, I can hear it," Jungkook replied, remembering Yoongi's words.

"What does this have to do with Yoongi?" Seokjin wondered.

"He called me a dog," Jungkook told him, suppressing a grimace of pain as he changed his position on the pillow to better observe Seokjin, "saying that the only reason I hate Taehyung is because my parents told me to."

"Yoongi is so perceptive!"  Seokjin exclaimed, sitting up to help Jungkook reposition the pillow correctly so he was more comfortable.

"Do you think I'm a dog too?" Jungkook grumbled, displeased.

"No, I wouldn't put it like that," Seokjin told him kindly, "but even if the way he says it is a bit harsh, I think Yoongi is right: you shouldn't let your parents stop you from getting along with Tae, he's your family and besides, you're free to be friends with whoever you want. Maybe you two could become good friends and then later team up so that both of your businesses are as powerful as each other. That would be great, right?"

Jungkook stared at Seokjin then chuckled, seeing that Seokjin was truly sincere in his words and hopes.

"Why are you laughing?" Seokjin asked, puzzled.

"That's what I was saying, you're really naive," Jungkook remarked. "No one wants to be equal, what we want is to reach the top and at the top, we are alone. There will be no one else with me, especially not Taehyung."