Wizards Chess

All night I had tossed and turned, restless and sleepless. Memories of the past year plagued me and I could do nothing but stare at the canopy above my bed. I felt guilty that I had given up on Sebastian and angry that he had given up on me. At some point Imelda threw something at me, complaining about the constant rustling sounds I was making.

It was morning though. That much I knew from the sounds of doors opening and closing, the numerous footsteps in the hallway making their way down the metal steps. I sat up and swung my legs over the edge of the bed, regretting my entire life. I stretched before standing up and sliding my slippers on, searching for my robe that had seemed to vanish.

I dragged myself out of bed, now fully experiencing the consequences of a night devoid of sleep. My reflection in the mirror was a sight to behold - I looked like shit. The bags under my eyes were more pronounced than ever, as if they were competing for the title of "most exhausted person on the planet."

"Merlin you look fucking awful!" Imelda very loudly pointed out.

"Thanks", I rolled my eyes and I started to get dressed.

I slipped into a cozy, oversized jumper that draped effortlessly over my frame, paired with a sleek, form-fitting pair of pants that hugged my curves just right. Completing the ensemble, I laced up my knee-high boots, adding a touch of edgy sophistication to my look.

Sitting in front of the mirror, I attempted to tame my unruly locks, but they seemed determined to have a mind of their own. With a sigh, I gracefully pulled my hair back, securing it with a luxurious velvet green ribbon, adding a pop of color to my ensemble.

Taking one last glance in the mirror, I adjusted a few loose strands and straightened my attire, ensuring I presented myself as best as I could. Feeling confident and put together, I rose from my seat and made my way towards the neatly packed trunk, closing the lid with a satisfying click before making my way out into the hall and down the steps.

The common room was a bubbling cauldron of excitement, brimming with the infectious energy of countless students.  As I swept my gaze across the room, my eyes darted in search of Ominis, hoping to chat before we departed but I guess since he was staying he wouldn't need to be out here.

Our gathering was short lived, and before long, a command echoed through the air, urging us to make our way to the awaiting carriages. The time had come to leave the castle once again and return to our homes for the summer.

The walk was long and noisy, the sound of animated conversations about summer adventures filled my ears, making it difficult to focus on my own thoughts. But I refused to let the commotion dampen my spirits. Instead, I decided to turn it into a game. I challenged myself to count the number of cobblestones I stepped on before reaching the carriages. With each step, I felt a sense of triumph, as if I was conquering the boisterous chaos around me. And before I knew it, I had arrived at the carriages.

I climbed into the cozy seat and settled in as the Thestral clicked a hoof on the ground. These enigmatic creatures had always captivated me, for they are often shrouded in mystery and misunderstood by many. I was happy to have rescued a few in my vivarium that Deek so kindly agreed to take care of while I was gone this summer.

As the carriage rolled along, the atmosphere was solemn and hushed, with only the occasional creak of the wheels breaking the silence. I realized this would be my actual first time on the Hogwarts Express. That thought at least gave me some happiness.

The train was bustling with people, all on the hunt for a cozy spot to settle into. Some were scanning the aisles for an empty seat, while others were seeking out a private compartment to share with newfound friends. It was a lively scene, with chatter and laughter filling the air as students jostled for space.