Chapter 28

Life offered no certainities but she loved Dominic madly and she was ready to take what she could have rather than hang out for what she could not.

He was never going to ask her to stay married to him for good. He was not in love with her, she knew that too well. She also knew he was only with lust with her. This is why they could never have a futur together, she reflected with a stab of pained regret.

And there was something worse, she was unlikely to ever be able to have a baby, Dominic did not know it and also she saw no reason why she should ever tell him.

And there was his fortune, someday Dominic would want to hand his heritage to a child of his own. Understandably, he would want a wife who could give him children in the futur, she futur where she won't be.

Dominic watched her trying to understand what is going in her head right now. He eased her up against his powerful frame.

"You look unhappy my darling", he murmured.

"A.. M not... Am really not", she insisted, stretching up to tug lose his tie and unbutton his collar.

Refusing to be distracted by her move, Dominic caught her hand in his, turned her palm and kissed it. He glanced up at her face again to see if her eyes still held that same look of sadness.

"Why are you sad Em? Please tell me, I am listening".

"It's a secret which... am sure you will not be interested in..."

"Try me sweetheart, am here", Dominic urged her.

"No, I can't. Some things are better left to stay private. Please understand", Emma whispered, letting her fingertip rub along his hard masculine jawline.

Dominic lowered his head and let the tip of his tongue flick the swollen pinkness of her lower lip. She gasped at his touch and her legs wobbled.

"If the secret relates to a problem then I could sort it out for you", he intoned seriously.

Emma close her eyes tightly preventing her tears from falling due to his offer. She loved his pride and confidence and his immediate convinction that he could solve all her problems. Not to mention his very assumption that it was somehow his duty and responsibility to deal with anything that worried her.

"Am afraid not this particular one Dominic", she told him gruffly.

"Have faith in me Em... I would like for you to trust me".

But even as he said it, Dominic was wondering if her secret related to her was the inability to have children. He did not want to think about it. Never before had he experienced that reluctance to consider an issue and he discovered that he did not even want to think about this as this issue was sensitive to him too.

"I can't..."

Her voice was muffled because she was pushing her tear wet face onto his front shirt and fighting to get a grip on her strong emotions. There was no need for him to know he was barren.

Who could tell how he would react! She could not bear the idea of him pitying her or worst, viewed her as flawed, less of a woman and not quite attractive. Emma has learned that people tended to associate fertility with all sorts of other feminine attributes.

"Someday, am sure, not far from today, you will trust me enough to talk to me about everything, sweetheart", Dominic swore with fervor and closing his arms around her, he lifted her up and sealed his mouth to hers in a passionate, drugging kiss.

With immense care, he laid Emma down on the bed and then discharge off his jacket and tie where he stood without leaving eyes contact with her.

"I swear, there really was not any one since... our wedding night?" she prompted shyly.

He ripped off his shirt and smiled down at her.

"For the first time in my adult life, I've lived like a monk".

Emma kicked off her shoes and lay back against the pillows like an temptress, back arched, chest in full display, knees slightly raised to show her legs to their best advantage.

"I see you have been practicing some seduction poses", Dominic breathed, raising an eyebrow.

She shifted a narrow shoulder in a languid movement to let the strap of her dress slide down, allowing just the hint of her breast to be seen.

"And trust me baby, the effort has paid off", he conceded in a very impressive tone until he was assailed by an uneasy suspicion.
"You have not been doing this for any other guy....have you?"