13

"Mother above!" 

Althea once again handled that with grace. She was really proud of herself, really. But what can she say, she returned home late that night and when she went to open her window for some fresh air, she was met with the cheshire grin of none other than Cassian. Who could really blame her for being scared? 

It's been weeks since the first letter has been sent and yet no reply has been given, it's clear that the faes felt restless, sending a few more when they could. Althea assumed it was the same today, he came to send yet another letter. 

She moved to the side allowing the tall man to enter the room which he did rather quickly. He was soaking wet, probably because of the rain outside and as soon as he entered the room he bought with him a puddle of water. 

"Have a nice shower?" she drawled moving to her drawer to grab a towel which he took gratefully. 

"Ha ha" Cassian deadpanned, he had the towel wrapped around his shoulders like a shawl and he gave her shoulder a pat in thankfulness, she smiled in return, following him to the door and out into the dimly lit hallway. "You don't need to accompany me y'know."

Althea shrugged. "It'll be rude to let a guest wander the house on their own." That sounded like a reasonable excuse to her but the truth is she's just nosy.

"Yeah right, you just want to know the updates." Cassian scoffed looking past her facade, they passed the kitchen, the scent of freshly baked bread emitting from inside. Elain was stress baking again.

She tried to act offended but she couldn't, not when he was telling the truth. All she could muster was a dramatic gasp and allowing her jaw to drop. "False accusations! I'm just a naturally nice person who-"

Cassian stopped her mid sentence. "No they haven't replied yet." he admitted.

"Oh." Her shoulders slumped making him raise his brows. 

"You seem more disappointed than I am."

She couldn't stop her frown from forming. "I'm not?" But it sounded more like a question than anything else. They both stopped in their tracks coming face to face with Nesta who didn't seem all too happy with his presence. And an angry Nesta is not someone she wanted to deal with right now. Instead she gave Cassain an apologetic smile before turning on her heels walking back the way they came from. 

"Don't leave me with her!" She heard his whining as she climbed up the stairs and into the comfort of her room. 

Azriel was the next faerie who visited the house a week later. He came in through the front door unlike the previous person, which she was thankful for. She didn't know how she would react if he barged in as she was changing. Althea didn't want to think about it. He came with good news though, the queens were coming but they demanded to know the layout of the house including the furniture which she found quite weird but she didn't question it.

Althea ended up taking the week off work, she  and her sisters helped Azriel as he marked down the whereabouts of each piece of furniture which was a lot more tiring than she thought it would be. 

She walked around the house with the pencil in her hand and paper in the other, she never really had the talents for drawing so they would just have to suffer through it. She placed the paper on the wall as she drew the side table in the corridor as a very long rectangle.

"If i wanted to do this i would've studied to become an architect."

Nesta didn't even look at her as she carried a vase across the room. "You didn't study at all." Althea stuck her tongue out making Nesta roll her eyes.