31

Hybern made his grand move at last. 

Althea sat on the couch and watched intently as everyone either paced or discussed with hush tones about what their next moves would be. In fact she didn't move a single inch as the shadowsinger prowled in the room with a scowl on his face, Cassian hot on his heels. "Has Tarquin called for aid?" Cassian asked Amren. 

"I don't know, i got the message, nothing else." 

Cassian nodded once and turned to Rhys. "Did the Summer Court have a mobile fighting forcereadied when you were there?"  

"No," Rhys said. "His armada was scattered along the coast." 

A glance at Azriel who nodded continuing whatever he knew. "Half is in Adriata—the other dispersed," the shadowsinger supplied. "His terrestrial army wasmoved to the Spring Court border ... after Feyre. The closest legion is perhaps three days' marchaway. Very few can winnow." 

"How many ships?" Rhys asked. 

"Twenty in Adriata, fully armed." he confirmed.

A calculating look at Amren. "Numbers on Hybern?" 

"I don't know. Many. It—I think they are overwhelmed."

"What was the exact message?" 

Pure, unrelenting command laced every word.Amren's eyes glittered like fresh silver. 

"It was a warning. From Varian. To prepare our owndefenses." 

"Prince Varian sent you a warning?" Cassian asked a bit quietly. 

Amren glared at him. "It is a thing that friends do."More silence. Utter silence. It confused Althea, that's what friends did she assumed, well things that friends do when there's a war or such. Maybe they were just surprised that she had friends other than them in general. Nora sat besides Althea readying her blades, sliding them into the sheathes that were wrapped around her thighs. They shared a look.

"We cannot leave Tarquin to face them alone," Feyre said to Rhysand, a flash of guilt slipping across her face. 

Rhys's attention cut to Cassian. "Keir and his Darkbringer army are nowhere near ready to march.How soon can the Illyrian legions fly?"

Cassian and Azriel were personally being sent into the illyrian camps by Rhysand, and while they tapped their siphons against their chests and arms with a stone cold face Althea was glad she was on the same side as them. Once they disappeared out of sight she turned to Nora who seemed to understand what she was saying even though Althea didn't utter a single word to her.

"No." 

Althea scowled at her unable to keep her anger in check. She was not going to sit in the corner in every battle, how else was she meant to gain experience and improve her skills while fighting against the same two people everyday. "Yes."

Feyre shook her head. "No."

She didn't back down even as Mor winnowed into the foyer, her blonde hair braided back. She shook her head, as if she was insulted that Althea even thought she could go. 

"I'm not staying." she pushed. "I'm not sitting here while everyone risks their lives protecting us. It's insulting." 

Morrigan gave her a long icy look. "And what do you know about battles?" 

"Not enough." She admitted. "But if I am meant to help during the war, I intend to fight even if it means dying in the process."

Something crossed Feyre's features as she studied Althea a little longer. "Fine but you can't leave my sight-"