25.

December 16, 2022

The evening of Jenna's appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon was finally here. Jenna's nerves were palpable through the air as she stood in front of the full-length mirror in her dressing room backstage, adjusting her robe tight to her tiny body. She was waiting for her glam team to arrive, while you waited in silence on the sofa, earphones on.

The days leading up to tonight had been tense between you and Jenna's relationship. After lovely days in Brazil, your girlfriend flew to Salt Lake City to shoot a movie with no other than Percy, the asshole, while you stayed in LA.

You pointed out, once more, through a video call one day how you couldn't shake the feeling that the blonde-haired dude wasn't trustworthy. Apart from all he did to you, Jenna still didn't think it was a plausible reason to just cut him off completely and you had an argument that same night. It has been a couple of days, and you still weren't back to normal.

You had been unusually quiet around her once you landed in New York to accompany her to her debut on the Tonight Show. She had been so excited and nervous before your fight, and you promised her you'd meet her in NY.

Once Jenna's glam team showed up, you completely zoomed out, just ignoring everything and focusing on some random sad playlist you had found on Spotify. Perhaps you were PMSing, or you were pissed, just wanting to listen to Taylor Swift and rage over sad lyrics.

You were snapped out of your angst-listening session by a tap on your head, it was your girlfriend catching your attention.

Jenna looked absolutely stunning. She wore a bold, sheer black dress that showcased her figure beautifully. The dress was long-sleeved and extended to her ankles, with a form-fitting black mini-dress underneath that provided coverage while still leaving just enough to the imagination. The high contrast of the white pointed collar and cuffs against the black dress added a sharp, sophisticated touch, reminiscent of her character Wednesday Addams, which she was going to promote tonight.

A wide, glossy silver belt cinched at her waist, emphasizing her curves and adding an element of edgy glamour. Her makeup was dramatic, with smoky eyes that made her dark eyes pop and a nude lip that balanced the look perfectly. Her hair, completely different from hours ago. Dave transformed her previously black waves into a reddish-brown hue and a sleek, shoulder-length cut, which framed her face beautifully.

You couldn't help but be in awe. She looked like a vision, exuding confidence and style. You felt a swell of pride and admiration, knowing that she was your girlfriend.

You stood up and stepped closer to her. It was like suddenly you forgot why you were even upset to begin with.

Seeing her like this, you were captivated by her beauty. She looked into your eyes with a nervous smile, and you stepped even closer, taking her hand in yours. "You look incredible, Jen," you said softly, your voice filled with genuine admiration. "I can't believe how stunning you are."

She blushed slightly, a shy smile tugging at her lips. "Thanks, babe. I'm so nervous."

You squeezed her hand reassuringly. "You have nothing to be nervous about. You are one of the most talented people I know. You've worked so hard to get here, and you deserve every bit of this success. And no matter what happens, I'm right here with you."

Jenna took a deep breath, her shoulders relaxing slightly. "I don't know what I'd do without you," she admitted.

"You don't have to," you replied, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I'm always here for you."

"Thank you. I thought you were mad at me," Jenna said softly, her eyes searching yours for reassurance.

You smiled gently, brushing a strand of hair from her face. "I was upset, not mad. There's a difference. I was worried about you. But I trust you, Jenna. And I know how important this project is to you. I just want to be a good girlfriend and support you no matter what."

Jenna's eyes softened, filling with gratitude. "You're really something, Y/n/n. I'd probably be a mess without you. Or, you know, more of a mess than usual."

You squeezed her hand again, feeling the warmth of her skin against yours. "We're lucky to have each other. Now go out there and shine. I'll be right here, cheering you on backstage."

———
30 minutes later

Jenna entered the dressing room with a smile from ear to ear, her dimples showing. You stood up and embraced her in the tightest hug you could manage, lifting her in the air and crashing your lips on hers.

"That was so cool." She mumbled against your lips.

Everything felt normal between you two again, but it would be too soon to celebrate.

———
Later, in the quiet intimacy of your hotel room, you both were getting ready to call it a night after this very special day.

Your girlfriend sat on the edge of the bed, her fingers fidgeting with the hem of her pijama top. You could sense something was off.

"What's wrong?" you asked, sitting beside her and placing a comforting hand on her bare knee.

The tiny girl took a deep breath, her eyes avoiding yours. "I have something to tell you..."

Dramatic, definitely unnecessary pause from her, and you raised your eyebrows.

"The PR team for 'Wednesday' wants the cast to hang out together more, especially Percy and me. They think it would be good publicity since the show has been breaking records and is definitely being considered for a second season."

You felt a knot form in your stomach, a mix of anger and insecurity bubbling up. "What do you mean 'especially Percy and you'? Are they asking you to pretend to be dating him?"

Jenna's silence was answer enough.

"Are you kidding me?" you nearly shouted, standing up and pacing the room. "You know I don't trust Percy. And now they're asking you to spend more time with him, to play along with this...this charade?"

"It's just for publicity," Jenna tried to reason, her voice calm but strained. "It's not real."

"It doesn't matter if it's real or not!" you snapped, turning to face her. "I'm supposed to just sit back and watch while you pretend to be with someone else? You know how I feel about him, Jenna. And you know what I've been through in past relationships. This isn't fair."

Jenna stood up, frustration evident in her eyes. "I don't have a choice, Y/N. This is part of the job. It's not about Percy, it's about the show."

"But it involves him," you retorted, your voice cracking with emotion. "And it means I'll be kept away from you. Keeping our relationship private is one thing, but this...this is different. This is you pretending to be with someone else. It feels like a betrayal."

Jenna's expression softened, but her resolve didn't waver. "I'm sorry you feel that way, but I need you to understand that this isn't about us. It's about the show and my career. I need you to trust me."

"I do trust you," you whispered, your voice trembling. "But I don't trust him. And I can't stand the thought of you two being together, even if it's just for show."

The silence between you was heavy and suffocating. For the first time, it felt like an insurmountable wall had been built between you. As an introvert, you hated confrontation, it made you uncomfortable, even if you were standing up for something you loved.

"I can't do this right now," you finally said, turning away from her and climbing into bed. You faced the wall, your back to her, your heart aching, finally allowing a few tears to fall and hit the pillow.

Jenna sighed, the weight of the situation pressing down on her. She climbed into bed as well, her back to yours. The physical distance mirrored the emotional chasm that had formed between you.

You both slept on opposite sides of the bed, backs turned to each other, the warmth of your relationship feeling suddenly cold and distant. It would be a tough couple of months ahead.

———
A/N: sorry, it was necessary for the timeline coming up. I promise I'll make it up for you. :)