Chapter 16

~Lilith~

Mary was drinking some rich, old, white guy under the table and Lilith couldn't be more in love with her.

Her girlfriend had gone to refresh their drinks more than ten minutes ago now and at this point Lilith had given up hope in ever receiving it. Leaning back in her seat, she chuckled to herself as she watched Mary down three shots of whisky in a row, earning a round of applause from the group of onlookers that had gathered while her opponent looked on in despair. Mary took a bow, shooting Lilith a wink when she saw she was watching, God did she look beautiful.

I can't believe she picked me.

"Lily?"

Lilith blinked, she hadn't been called Lily in a very, very long time. Tearing her eyes away from the scene at the bar her mouth dropped open with surprise when she took in the man standing at her table.

"Uncle Jamie?"

He beamed, "It is you! I wasn't sure, what with the suit and..." His gaze darted to her scales, "... everything... Are those tattoos?"

"Um...I... yes they are." Lilith was caught so entirely off guard, she fumbled her words, "Why are you here?"

"Your mother wanted me to come..." Jamie gestured towards the chair beside her, "Mind if I sit?"

"Ahhh. Go ahead." She nodded, her heart rate spiking, her mother couldn't be here...

Oblivious to Lilith's panic, her uncle plopped himself down with a sigh, "God I hate these things, I swear your mother only sends me to the boring ones."

"Oh..." Lilith hummed, trying to keep her tone light, "So she's not here?"

Jamie waved his hand, "Oh no, she's in Prague sunning herself. I'm the one that gets stuck with the dreary old London assignments."

Nothing compared to the relief she felt in that moment. A bout of raucous laughter drew her attention back to the bar. It surprised Lilith to find Mary watching her, a smile plastered on her face as her drinking buddies cackled around her. She could see the questioning look in Mary's eyes as she took in Lilith's new companion. Lilith gave her a small 'I'm good' smile and Mary nodded, turning away to accept another shot.

"So, Lily, what brings you here tonight? Business or pleasure?"

"Neither." Lilith turned back to her uncle, "I'm just here to help out a friend."

Jamie nodded a couple of times, "I see."

They fell into a slightly uncomfortable silence; she could tell he had more to say and whatever it was, it couldn't be good. Lilit considered excusing herself, grabbing Mary and waiting for their friends outside. Even in the rain she could see pattering against the windowpanes, it had to be better than this. But she could also see Mary was having fun and Lilith would do anything to see her girlfriend happy after what she had been through.

"Is she yours?"

She recoiled at the question, her head snapping back towards her uncle. Her terror must've been written all over her face because Jamie quickly raised his hands in a placating gesture.

"Hey... it's okay. I just assumed because you keep looking at her all..." He paused awkwardly, "...love eyed? Is that what you call it?"

Despite her flustered state, Lilith couldn't help but bark a laugh, "Heart eyes, Uncle. At least I think that's what you mean?" She swallowed, fuck it , "But yes...Mary is my girlfriend."