Chapter 17

***Thanks for all the lovely comments and support after I had to delay last weeks update. This chapter was tricky to write. I hope you guys enjoy it!***

~Beatrice~

She pulled the silver emergency blanket tighter around herself, staring down at the suit jacket discarded at her feet. The expensive piece of clothing was soaking wet, dark stains of blood glistened in the flashing red and blue lights.

Beatrice shuddered.

"... phase!"

Phase? She thought this was a phase?

A rage like Beatrice had never known surged through her body, her chest burned with it. She was going to kill her. She was going to kill her own parents. Fuck it. Fuck them.

Suddenly, Ava was in front of her. She filled her field of vision completely. She looked scared, terrified, and Beatrice had a moment of clarity as to what was happening, she was losing control.

Potent fear mixed with the fury, and like pouring gasoline on a fire, the wild emotion intensified, Beatrice's grip on her powers slipped. She could feel it scorching under skin, aching for release, but then she was moving out into the icy rain. It vaguely surprised Beatrice the droplets didn't sizzle when they landed on her, her body was so on fire.

"...it's okay. You're okay." Ava's hands were on her face, soothing, grounding... The balance tipped further in her favor; she clawed back a little more control.

"Constance!" The voice grated on her, wearing her down, the balance shifting once again.

Ava muttered something, her eyes looking off into the night, in the direction of the shout. She turned back to Beatrice, golden ringed eyes shining with determination as she scanned Beatrice's face before letting her go and marching back out into the rain.

Now alone, she could barely keep her head above the flood of power. It was sweet and enticing, calling to her as it tried to pull her under. So, as a last resort, Beatrice did something she hadn't had to do for a very long time, not since her parents had broken her heart. With a deep breath, she retreated into herself, blocking out the power, the raw emotion and with it her link to the Halo, to Ava.

Time didn't seem to have any meaning as she fortified the barricade in her mind, Beatrice had no idea how long had passed since Ava had left her.

"Bea...if you can hear me... I love you."

The words in her head broke through everything, shattering the wall Beatrice was hiding behind to stay herself. Suddenly reconnected to Ava, she gasped at the stark pain she could feel through the Halo link. Ava was hurt... badly. She had to get to her.

With a growl, Beatrice threw herself out into the rain following the link to her fiancé.

When she saw the winged man standing over Mary and Ava, Beatrice could do nothing but instinctively relinquish herself to the power surging within. She lifted her right hand, the fire under his skin coalescing at the center of her palm before exploding out in a deadly, disintegrating beam of energy.

It was her fault.

It was her fault that Ava had been out in the open, unprotected, when she had been attacked. It was her fault that her parents had been coming to find them, distracting Ava at the crucial moment during the fight. It was her fault they were even at this stupid fundraiser in the first place.

"I understand that, but I've already told you, we work for the Church. The Vatican is taking care of her treatment..." Mary's voice carried from where she was talking to two of the police officers.