23: Alex+Henry

•Title: "Change of plans"

•Requester:

•Warnings: I mean... none really. I talk about the department of child and family services (DCFS or CPS depending on where you're from.) If you find anything triggering, let me know so I'm aware for future reference.

•Inspiration: Bro I have no clue. I guess when in the book/movie, Henry sends Alex a link to the article about a child. That's what I kept thinking of.

•Type: I mean I guess fluff but it's not overly sappy

A/N: Okay so they've been together for five years in this and they're married.

_____ _____ _____

Alex and Henry are at their Brownstone in New York City. They are sitting on the couch, Alex in between Henry's legs. Bake Off is playing on the television that is mounted to the wall above the electric fireplace. Henry is running his fingers through Alex's hair. Alex is running his fingers over Henry's arms that are around him. Their peaceful little bubble is burst by the sound of knocking. With a sigh, Alex stands up and drags his feet as he walks to the door. The exhaustion of his body and mind seemingly disappears when he sees a woman in a blazer with a briefcase standing there.

"Uhm, hello," Alex says.

"Hi, I am Maria James from the department of family services. Is Alexander Claremont Diaz here?"

"Yeah, that's me. Come on in," Alex steps aside to allow the woman into the home, shutting the door right after her.

Henry hops off of the couch and walks over, "what's going on?"

The woman glances at Henry only briefly before turning to Alex, "Mr. Claremont Diaz, I am here because you were found to be the biological father of a child who entered the DCFS system."

"Uhm, what?" Alex says in genuine shock.

"I'm sorry. Were you not aware that you had a child?"

"No, no I wasn't. Wh- how old are they?"

"Well, her name is Ariella Samson. Her mother is Penelope Samson. Ariella is 6 years old," the woman responds.

Alex's face shows the realization as it hits him, Henry staring at him. The prince looks to the woman, "how did Ariella enter the system?"

"Her mother unfortunately passed away in a car accident," the woman responds with a saddened look on her face.

"Was Ariella in the car?" Alex is quick to ask.

"Yes, she was," the woman says, "she suffered minimal injuries, though. Just a few cuts and bruises."

"What happens now?" Henry asks.

"Well, you have two options," the woman says, "you can take custody of Ariella and raise her, or you can sign away your parental rights and we will find her a loving and safe home."

"I want her. I want to raise her," Alex says with no hesitation before looking at Henry worriedly, "i-is that okay?"

Henry smiles softly at his husband, "Alex, she's your daughter. Of course, it's okay that you want to raise her."

"Okay, well, we will come by in the next 5-10 business days to do a home inspection to make sure this is a suitable home for Ariella. Assuming all of it goes well, you should have your daughter in your home within the next month or so," the woman says with a kind smile.

+ + + + +

Alex is freaking out. His anxiety is usually at a 7, but that's on a good day. Today is not a good day when it comes to his anxiety. That being said, it's a great day in every other way. It's been around three weeks since the social worker came to his home. Three weeks of inspections, background checks, and supervised visits-to make sure Ariella felt comfortable and safe with him and Henry. Today, she is coming home.

The former guest bedroom is now painted a light shade of purple-Ariella's favorite color-with a pink bed set on a black wooden frame. All of the furniture is black-to prevent messes-and a bin is in the corner overflowing with stuffed animals and toys. Alex is currently in the bedroom, cleaning for the seventh time this morning-and it's only eight o'clock.

Henry got a list of Ariella's favorite foods and bought everything. Alex even made an 'Ariella binder' that holds all important information about their daughter.

It's exactly 8:30 when there's a knock on the door. With bright smiles, Alex and henry make their way to the door. When they open it, Ariella is standing next to the social worker. The six year old has a bright smile as she rushes into the home. The social worker talks with Alex and Henry for a few moments before she leaves the family. Ariella is spinning happily around her room. Alex and Henry are in the doorway, wearing smiles as they watch her.

"Welcome home, Ariella."

_____ _____ _____

A/N: Okay, this is shorter but I started it last night and then slept so I have no idea where I was going to take this. Also, the name I used is the name I hope to name my future child. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed.