68

Enya

I was sitting next to my grandpa Marco holding and rocking Takeo while the nurses unhooked him, if I had found her sooner she would've been fine. Grandpa Marco tried to donate blood but it was too late. Neither of us was saying anything but since we had found Auntie Tina we hadn't left each other's side. We hadn't said anything to each other. Haven't even looked at each other.

"I think it's best if we don't tell Brandi right now," Ryu said "She just woke up and is still upset about Sante. I haven't even told her about Eziō"

I nodded my head "It would be too much for her" I said lowly

"Have you gotten any rest, Enya?" Ryu asked "This is a lot for you too"

"Yeah I have"

"Not enough," my grandpa Marco said "You need rest"

"I-I don't want to sleep by myself. It's too much"

"The boys will be here tomorrow," Eun said "Until then you can sleep with Isuel or Brandi"

"Isuel would be better," my grandpa said

"I-I want my dad. I want to talk to my dad"

"Okay," Eun said coming towards me and helping me stand up "Let's call him"

I tried to grab Takeo's bag but Eun just grabbed it for me "Thank you"

Eun held me and we both walked out of the room, he sat me down in a chair in the hallway and knelt down in front of me. "Where's your phone"

"I don't know"

I felt myself tearing up and Eun pulled my face up to look at him "It's fine" he looked in the diaper bag and then checked my jacket pockets "It's right here" He pulled my phone out showing me and called my dad "Here"

He held the phone to my ear and I grabbed it slowly, feeling the phone in my hand and hearing the phone ringing was starting to pull me back to reality instead of being on autopilot.

I knew to feed Takeo, to burp him, to change him, to make sure I was holding him right, but it just felt like muscle memory at this point.

The image of my auntie in the shower with her wrist cut was burnt into my brain. The image of my husband laying in bed in a coma was burnt into my brain. The image of my mom and sister being shot was burnt into my brain-

"Piccolo" my dad's rough but soothing voice came over the phone and I almost choked on the air I didn't know I wasn't breathing.

"Hi Daddy"

"It's so good to hear your voice"

"I miss you," I said "I miss you so much. I miss you and my mom and Aljuda and grandma-"

"We miss you too piccolo, your mom and Brandon's headed there now. Aurora wanted to go after she got off the phone with Tina. Said she sounded off, it-it must've happened after she got off the phone with Aurora."

"If I knew-"

"Do not do that" my dad said firmly "She had her mind made up long before you left that room. Her and San" he sighed "Her and Sa-" he took a deep breath sounding like he was choking. He couldn't even say my uncle's name.

"Why aren't you coming, Daddy?"

"I'm on Aljuda duty. Lailah and Amir are here, they're keeping an eye on me. Alonzo and Lail are with Asia"

"How is Auntie?"

"Distraught. Putting it lightly, she talked to Tina too"

It was quiet and I just focused on my dad's breathing. I felt like I was finally relaxing and my brain was slowly starting to shut down.