Chapter 15 - Unbreakable Vow

I land in water, it's dark but I recognise the Weasley house straight away. Dumbledore isn't with me now so I make my way over to the house.

When I walk in, Ginny is standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking up.

"His trunk's in the kitchen, and his owl," she says.

"No, dear, I seriously doubt that," Mrs Weasley says and I hear her coming down the stairs.

"Harry?" Ron says. "Did someone say 'Harry'?"

"Me, nosy. Is he up there with you?"

"Of course not. I'd know if my best friend was in my room, wouldn't I?"

"I brought them," Hollie says.

"My goodness, Hollie," Mrs Weasley says. "When did you get here?"

"Same time I did," Ben says.

"Glory be, I don't even know what goes on in my own house," Mrs Weasley says.

"I am here though," I say and Ginny turns to me.

She smiles and runs over, giving me a hug before Hermione does the same.

"What a lovely surprise," Mrs Weasley says and me and Ron embrace briefly then she hugs me followed by Hollie. Ben just smiles at me.

"Why didn't you let us know you were coming?" Mrs Weasley asks before looking at Hollie and Ben as well.

"I didn't know," I say. "Dumbledore."

"Oh, that man. But then, what would we do without him?"

Later, I'm burning a screwed up newspaper in mid-air with my wand as I sit in Ron's attic room with the others.

"So when did you get here?" I ask my sister.

"Just before you actually," Ben says. "Hermione saw us first and we went to the spare room where she helped us unpack."

"What about you?" I ask Hermione.

"A few days ago. Though for a while, I wasn't sure I was coming."

"Mum sort of lost it last week," Ron says. "Said Ginny and I had no business going back to Hogwarts. That it's too dangerous."

"Oh come on."

"She's not alone," Ben says.

"Even my parents, and they're Muggles, know something bad's happening."

"Anyway," Ron says. "Dad stepped in, told her she was being barmy, and it took a few days, but she came around."

"But this is Hogwarts we're talking about. It's Dumbledore. What could be safer?" I say.

"There's been a lot of talk recently that..." Hermione begins but stops for a moment. "Dumbledore's got a bit old."

"Rubbish! Well, he's only... What is he?"

"Hundred and fifty? Give or take a few years," Ron says.

We all start laughing.

~Emberlee's POV~

I see a row of snow covered houses, there's light now on the ground.

"Cissy!" a voice says. "You can't do this! He can't be trusted!"

Two women are walking through the back alley and I quickly recognise them as Bellatrix and Narcissa.

"The Dark Lord trusts him," Narcissa says.

"The Dark Lord's mistaken."

Children chatter and the two women hide against the wall as several small children run up the street.

Narcissa then comes out of the alleyway and knocks on the first door to the left.

Wormtail presses his face against the glass before he opens the door. The two women follow him into the side room where somebody is sitting behind a newspaper. The newspaper is lowered to reveal Snape.

"Run along, Wormtail," he says before slamming the door shut on the little runt.

"I know I ought not to be here," Narcissa says. "The Dark Lord himself forbade me to speak of this."

"If the Dark Lord has forbidden it, you ought not to speak," Snape says. "Put it down, Bellatrix. We mustn't touch what isn't ours."

Bellatrix replaces whatever she had in her hand.

"As it so happens, I'm aware of your situation, Narcissa."

"You?" Bellatrix asks. "The Dark Lord told you?"

"Your sister doubts me. Understandable. Over the years I've played my part well. So well, I've deceived one of the greatest wizards of all time."

Bellatrix snorts.

"Dumbledore is a great wizard. Only a fool would question it."

"I don't doubt you, Severus," Narcissa says.

"You should be honoured, Cissy. As should Draco."

"He's just a boy."

"I can't change the Dark Lord's mind. But it might be possible for me to help Draco."

Narcissa stands.

"Severus."

"Swear to it."

Narcissa and Snape look at the deranged woman.

"Make the Unbreakable Vow."

Narcissa looks back at Snape.

"It's just empty words," Bellatrix says as she approaches him. "He'll give it his best effort. But when it matters most..."

She places her chin on his shoulder.

"He'll just slither back into his hole."

She moves away from him, back across the room.

"Coward."

"Take out your wand," he says.

She looks at him with disbelief.

Narcissa and Snape take each other's arms and Bellatrix casts the Unbreakable Vow spell.

"Will you... Severus Snape... watch over Draco Malfoy... as he attempts to fulfil the Dark Lord's wishes?"

"I will."

"And will you, to the best of your ability... protect him from harm?"

"I will?"

"And if Draco should fail, will you yourself carry out the deed the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform?"

"I will."

They let go of each other's arms.

I wake up and turn over in the bed, wishing, like I do every morning, that Draco was here. And like every morning, for the past six months at least, my little RJ, the youngest of the three triplets is asleep where his father should be.

I climb out of bed and, without getting dressed, I sit at the small table by the window and look at the photo of my parents next to the photo of my siblings and my friends as I take out my writing paper and quill.

'Dear Remus,

I'm afraid something terrible is going to happen to Draco so I'm returning to Hogwarts.

Please come and watch over my babies while I'm gone.

Lots of love,

Emberlee.'

I put it into an envelope, seal it and hand it to my messenger owl, Yuri. Reba is too easily recognised, especially now but Yuri is special and can change his appearance when necessary. I've trained him when it's necessary.

I open the window and watch as my link to the outside world flies away.