Chapter 39 - Sword of Gryffindor

~Harry's POV~

I've sitting on guard duty, outside the tent while the others sleep when I see a light approaching which turns into a doe Patronus.

I follow it until it turns back into a light and hovers over a frozen lake.

"Lumos."

My wand lights up and I carefully step onto the ice before walking over to the Patronus light which disappears through the ice.

I kneel down and wipe the snow away before looking through the ice and see the sword of Gryffindor.

"Accio sword."

Nothing happens so I stand.

"Diffindo."

The ice breaks, making a large hole above the sword so I strip to my boxers and climb in. The water is freezing.

As the sword is within reach, the Horcrux begins strangling me so I fight my way to the surface, only to find myself trapped under the ice.

I see a figure above the ice and the next thing I know, I'm being dragged along the ice before I'm released.

"Hollie?" I ask as I put my glasses back on.

"Are you mental?" Ron asks and I see the sword in his hand.

"It was you?" I ask as I start getting dressed.

"Well, yeah. Bit obvious, I think."

"And you cast a doe as well, did you?"

"No, I thought that was you."

"No, my Patronus is a stag."

"Right. Yeah. Antlers."

We take the sword and Horcrux over to a large rock and put it down. Hermione stands next to me. I don't want to wake the others.

"Okay, Ron. Do it." I say.

"I can't handle it. That thing affects me more than it affects you two."

"All the more reason."

"No. I can't."

"Then why are you here? Why did you come back?"

He doesn't answer.

"Now I'll have to speak to it in order for it to open. When it does, don't hesitate. I don't know what's in there, but it'll put up a fight. The bit of Riddle that was in that diary tried to kill me. Alright. One... two..."

Ron raises the sword

"Three."

I speak in Parseltongue and the locket opens, before a black cloud flows out of it, making me and Hermione fall backwards. I can't see Ron.

"I have seen your heart, and it is mine," Voldemort's voice hisses as it moves in Ron's direction.

High pitched screams almost deafen me but I can still hear his voice.

"I have seen your dreams, Ronald Weasley... and I have seen your fears. Least loved by your mother, who craved a daughter. Least loved by the girl who prefers your friend."

"Ron, kill it!" Hermione screams.

The cloud turns into an image of me and Hermione, and 'we' walk towards Ron.

"We were better without you," the cloud Harry says. "Happier without you."

"Who could look at you compared to Harry Potter?" the Hermione cloud says. "What are you compared with the Chosen One?"