Chapter 18 - The Necklace

~Harry's POV~

Bella, Hollie and I are summoned to Dumbledore's office so we head straight there and Hollie knocks before we enter.

"Children, you got my message. Come in."

We approach his desk.

"How are you all?"

"We're fine, sir."

"Enjoying your classes?"

We all nod.

"I know Professor Slughorn is most impressed with you. Especially you, Bella."

"I think he overestimates my abilities, sir," she says.

"Do you?"

"Definitely."

He chuckles.

"What about your activities outside the classroom?"

"Sir?" Hollie asks.

"Well, I notice you two," he says to Hollie and Bella. "Spend a great deal of time with Mr Bruce and Mr Cullen. I can't help wondering if..."

"Oh, no," Hollie says. "Outside school maybe but never in school. I'm nothing like Emberlee."

"And Miss Swan?"

"No, Edward wants to wait until we're married."

"I figured as much."

"Yes, we are aware of what he is," Bella says.

"Good. Forgive me. I was merely making sure that sort of activity does not happen within these walls. Emberlee assures me she and Draco will not be repeating their actions. Anyway, enough chitchat. You must be wondering why I summoned you here tonight."

He moves over to a cabinet of golden vials.

"The answer lies here. What you are looking at are memories. In this case, pertaining to one individual, Voldemort... or, as he was known then, Tom Riddle."

The vials stop turning and he takes one out.

"This vial contains the most particular memory of the day I first met him. I'd like you to see it, if you would."

I look at my siblings who nod so then I take the vial and move over to the blue pool before pouring it in.

All three of us put our heads into the water and are teleported, subconsciously at least, to see a very young Dumbledore standing in a corridor with a woman

"I admit some confusion upon receiving your letter, Mr Dumbledore," she says. "In all the years Tom's been here, he's never once had a family visitor. There have been incidents with the other children. Nasty things."

She opens a door behind her.

"Tom, you have a visitor."

"How do you do, Tom?" Dumbledore asks before he enters the room and it's only then that we see Tom, at approximately ten years old, maybe younger.

The image flashes forward a little, then it does it again before Tom is sitting on the chair and Dumbledore on the bed.

"You're the doctor aren't you?" Tom asks.

"No! I'm a professor."

"I don't believe you. She wants me looked at. They think I'm different."

"Well, perhaps they're right."

"I'm not mad."

"Hogwarts is not a place for mad people. Hogwarts is a school. A school of magic."