Chapter 17 - The Book

~Bella's POV~

During dinner, for the first time since Emberlee had the babies, it actually feels like it did on our first day at Hogwarts. Seeing her and Draco sitting together, Emberlee as herself instead of Rebel, and they are so loved up, it's just like me and Edward. The only difference is, when she looks at me, she smiles instead of scowls.

"Very best of evenings to you all," Dumbledore begins. "First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff – Horace Slughorn."

He holds his arm out and Slughorn stands and waves.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

Great!

"As you know," he continues. "Each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

We all begin to chatter quietly.

"Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's wall. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now, off to bed. Pip-pip."

"That was cheerful," Ron says as all the students start filing out of the hall.

Me and Hollie are standing at the side of the corridor as McGonagall guides students to and from their classes.

"History of Magic is upstairs, ladies, not down. Mr Davies! Mr Davies! That is the girls' lavatory. Swan, Potter."

"Oh, this can't be good," I say before we go over to her.

"Enjoying ourselves, are we?"

"We had a free period this morning."

"So I noticed. I would think you would want to fill it with Potions. Or is it no longer your ambitions to become Aurors?"

"It was, but I was told we had to get an outstanding in our O.W.L."

"So you did, when Professor Snape was teaching Potions. However, Professor Slughorn is perfectly happy to accept N.E.W.Ts students with Exceeds Expectations."

"Brilliant. Um, well, we'll head there straightaway."

"Oh, good, good."

We hurry to the Potions class.

"Attention to detail in the preparation," Slughorn says to the class as we walk in. "Is a prerequisite of all planning."

He turns to us.

"Ah. Bella, Hollie, I was beginning to worry. Get your books out."

"Sorry sir, we haven't actually got our books yet."

"Not to worry. Get what you want from the cupboard."

He turns back to the class as the two of us go to the cupboard.

"Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss..."

"Granger, sir."

We hear footsteps.

"That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum."

There's only one decent and one tattered book left so we both go for the decent one but Hollie gets it so I pick up the old one.

"And that would be Polyjuice Potion," Hermione continues. "It's terribly tricky to make. "And this is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass, and new parchment, and spearmint toothpaste."

She quickly takes her seat as we take ours.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible," Slughorn explains. "But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession."

Lavender, Matilda and Katie move slowly closer to the potion.

"And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room."

He puts the lid on and the girls stop before moving back.

"Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one," Matilda says as she nods towards the vial.

"Ah, yes," he says as he picks it up. "What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as..."

Liquid Luck," I say, smiling.

"Yes, Bella. Liquid Luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of Liquid Luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death; the recipes of which can be found on page 10 of your books. I should point out, however, only once did a student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

We each find a table and I open my book to the first page. Written on the top are the words 'This book is the property of The Half-Blood Prince.'

So I turn to page 10, one page at a time and notice whoever this Half-Blood Prince was has hand-written notes and changed instructions on all the pages.

I look around and notice everyone trying to cut their Sopophorus Beans, all unsuccessfully so I look back at the page. The words 'cut up' are circles and there's a line leading from the circle to the words 'Crush with blade...' then a line under it, and under that the words 'Releases juice better.'

I do as it says and a smile appears on my face before I put it into the cauldron.

"How did you do that?" Hermione asks.

"You crush it. Don't cut it."

"No. The instructions specifically say to cut."

"No, really."

I keep following the instructions as per the hand-written notes until the end of the lesson. Slughorn comes round and tests each potion with a flower petal.

"Merlin's beard! It is perfect," he says about mine. So perfect I daresay one drop would kill us all."

I raise my eyebrow to Hermione who doesn't look happy.

The others watch in amazed disappointment as Slughorn hands me the vial.

"So here we are, then, as promised. One vial of Felix Felicis. Congratulations. Use it well."