You lied to me

Summary: Kate finds out you're a part of the tracksuit maffia, and hands you back her engagement ring. You try to tell her it isn't what it seems, what will happen when she doesn't believe you?

Warning(s): angst (with a happy ending)

~

"Kate, what are you doing?" You ask when the first thing you see as you walk into your apartment is your fiancée frantically shoving clothes into a suitcase. Kate looks over to you with a look full of anger, you notice her eyes are red and her cheeks are stained with tears. "Hey, talk to me. What's going on?" You take a step closer and reach your hand out to hold her cheek. Holding the others cheek had always been your way of silently letting other know that you were there. But, before your hand could even touch her cheek Kate pushes your hand away, "No, you don't get to do that."

You are confused but you back away, respecting Kate's wish. "What do you mean I don't get to do that? What-" You take a deep breath before continuing, "What did I do wrong?" Your scared, nothing like this has ever happened and you have no clue what you did to make Kate this mad. "What did you do? Ha, that's funny." Kate sneers, "You lied to me, you lied to me all this time. We were getting married y/n, how did you think that was going to go, huh?" You're taken back 'we were getting married', tears start filling your eyes. "Kate, I'm sorry but I really don't know what you're talking about. Will you please tell me what you think I'm lying about?"

"Oh, don't play the innocent card on me, you know exactly what you did." Kate huffs and shoves another t-shirt in the suitcase. "Kate, please." You say when she still doesn't tell you what this is about. "You're a part of the tracksuit mafia. How could you? They've been after me for almost a year now and all this time you were part of it. You must be the reason they're always able to find me. I can't believe it" Kate unloads. When you're taking in what she just shared, she takes her engagement ring off and holds it up for you to take, "Keep it." She says while slinging her backpack over her shoulder, grabbing the suitcase, and heading towards the door.

"Kate, wait!" You say quickly moving in front of the door. "Please hear me out, it's not what it looks like, I promise." You feel the weight of the ring in your hand get heavier and heavier with each second that Kate doesn't respond. "Fine, you have five minutes."

You start talking right away. "I'm not actually a part of the tracksuit mafia." Kate huffs. "Please, Kate. Hear me out." She nods and you continue, "As you know the Avengers, tried everything to get the tracksuits away from you, but nothing seemed to work. So, Steve decided to put me on an undercover mission. To figure out what it is that they want from you and try and take them down from the inside. He picked me for the job because my face is not known to the public. I was sworn to secrecy, especially towards you. And I'm sorry you had to find out like this, but Steve thought it was the only way." You look at Kate with hopeful eyes, but she still has the same angry look on her face.

"Nice story, but you won't trick me." That was the last thing she said to you before walking around you and leaving the apartment. You fall to the floor, tears streaming down your face. How were you supposed to fix this if she wouldn't believe you?

Once, you've calmed down a bit you get to thinking of way to make Kate believe you. You check your phone, hoping she still had her location on to see where she went. She did, she went to the compound. You grab your keys and head over to the compound. You expect Kate to be in the sleeping quarters, but you needed to do something before going to see her. You ask F.R.I.D.A.Y. where Steve is, F.R.I.D.A.Y. let's you know he's in the meeting room and gives you a warning to not disturb him at the moment since he's in a debriefing. You don't care that he's in a meeting, your relationship with Kate is more important than that.

You open the door of the meeting room and are met by the whole team looking your way concerned, you ignore their questioning looks and say, "Steve you need to come with me." Steve furrows his eyebrows, "As you can see I'm kind of in the middle of something. Can it wait until we're done here?"

A tear rolls over your cheek as you grab the ring from your pocket and put it on the table, "No, it can't. Your stupid undercover mission-" you get choaked up. "She-, she doesn't believe it's a mission, Steve. You need to tell her, show her files. I can't lose her and definitely not over this." You don't care that most of the team just saw you breakdown, you needed Steve to help fix this. Steve clears his throat, "Nat, can you please take over the debriefing? I'll be back."

You wait in the living room while Steve heads over to the living quarters, with the mission reports to show Kate. You're in the dark of what's happening as you're pacing around the room. Stopping in your tracks when you see Kate entering the room.

Her eyes meet your uncertain ones, which turn into hopeful ones as you see the corner of her mouth curl up in a slight smile. "I'm so sorry I didn't believe you." The weight on your shoulders lifts when you hear her speak those words, she believes you now. "I'm sorry I didn't let you in on it."

Kate moves closer to you putting her hand on your cheek, "It was the only way, I understand now." You lean into her hand another tear rolling over your cheek, which she wipes away with her thumb before giving you a tight hug. She holds you until she realizes the ring. "Hey, ehm, if you'd still have me, I would really like to be your fiancée still.

You go to take it out of your pockets, but it isn't there. Your eyes widen when you realize you left it in the meeting room. "Come with me." You say grabbing her hand, leading her to the meeting room. Once again you interrupt the debriefing. "I'm very sorry you guys, but this is important too." Before anyone can ask you grab the ring from the table and place it on Kate's finger as she gives you a reassuring nod.

A collective 'aw' fills the room as you give Kate back her ring, you look around the room with a smile, "I will leave you to your meeting now, I promise." Taking Kate's hand again you walk out the room, you both head home and unpack Kate's stuff. Once you're both settled down again you are tired from an emotional and stressful day and decide to take a nap. Kate walks into the room and sees you laying down on the bed, "Can I join you?" You nod and open your arms. You really wanted her close, right now. Kate lays down and you put your arm around her waist, you kiss the back of her shoulder, "I'm glad you're back home."