A first

Summary: You're scared to let your guard down and feel what you feel towards your best friend.

Warnings: hurt/comfort

~

Ever since you realised the extent of your feelings towards your best friend Kate, you have been keeping a bit more distance with her. You still spend a lot of time with her since she's your best friend and roommate, but you started leaving more room on the couch between you too and not hugging her on your every arrival. Trying to make yourself to get over this crush on her, it was never going to happen.

Besides not wanting to hurt Kate or change what you have with her now, you had also never before been in a real relationship. What would happen in the slight possibility that Kate would feel the same way? You don't know how to be a good girlfriend, what if you say or do something that will hurt her? You would never forgive yourself.

What you had not calculated was that fact that you were hurting Kate by acting distant. You only realised that when she confronted you. After another day of you coming home and not greeting her with a hug she asked you to take a seat on the couch. "Y/n, will you please tell me what's going on?"

"What do you mean?" You say as you sit down like she asked. Kate sits down at the opposite end of the couch. "This for instance, you won't even sit next to me anymore. You don't want to hang out, have movie nights. You're never hugging me anymore. If I did something wrong, just please let me know so I can try to fix it." She said in one breath as the tears start forming in her eyes.

Your heart drops at the sight of her, the way you made her feel. "I'm so sorry." You start of saying as you move closer to Kate, wrapping your arms around her. "I never meant to hurt you. I was creating distance for the exact reason of not wanting to hurt you. I'm sorry I didn't realise I was hurting you this way."

Kate holds on to your comfort a little while longer until her mind has caught up with what she just heard you say. "You were creating distance? Why?" She asks as she moves out of your hug. You had to tell now, the whole story. You take a deep breath before you start.

"I was creating distance because I didn't want to ruin what we have now." You take a second to think of how to word your thoughts. "Kate I like you, as in I like-like you. Just telling you could jeopardize our friendship and this, you as my best friend, means the world to me. And for the small chance that it wouldn't, I don't have enough experience with relationships to make sure that I'd be good enough for you."

At your last sentence Kate grabs your hand, "Y/n, you'd always be good enough. A relationship is between two people, two people that work on their relationship together. Most times bettering each other while in it." Kate takes a moment to look you in the eyes to check if her words are coming over clear. "And with that said, I like-like you too. Like a lot."

Your eyes shoot up at hers. Did she really say that or did your mind deceive you? Kate saying, "I really said it." Snaps you out of your thoughts that you apparently spoke out loud. You blush at the realization. Kate grabs your other hand as well, "Y/n, experience or not, I want to give us a shot. Because I think we'd be pretty great together. Would you like too as well?" You nod your head and smile, "I do."

Kate smiles too. "There is actually something I've wanted to do for a long time." Kate says as places a strand of your hair behind your ear, leaving the palm of her hand to rest on your cheek. You lean into her touch as you watch her eyes. "Can I kiss you?" She asks. The butterflies fill your stomach at the thought of kissing Kate. "Yes, I've wanted to kiss you for a long time too."

At those words gently pulls your face closer and meets your lips with her own. At first you share a short and sweet kiss. Both smiling into it, your foreheads leaning against each other as you pull away slightly looking into each other's eyes. The butterflies were still going crazy, and your heart felt warm. You leaned in to kiss her again. Relaxing into the kiss as Kate kisses you back. You felt so safe with her.

You've been kissing for a bit when you pull away to hug her close. She wraps her arms around you and places a soft kiss on your head. "Movie night?" She asks hopeful. Weekly movie nights had been your thing since you moved in together. A tradition you might have tried to hide from in the last couple of weeks, so Kate asking you if you wanted to have one still made her kind of nervous, even after your confession. "I'll get the pizza." You say with a big smile plastered on your face.