You're safe with me

Prompt: "They will have to go through me before they get to you."

~

Your girlfriend had always looked up to the Avengers. She had told you about the day she saw Hawkeye fight in the Battle of New York, the tragic event which led to the death of her father. Over time she had shared this story with you, letting you in on why archery became so important to her. So, when the opportunity arose for her to work with Clint Barton himself and eventually join the Avengers, her decision was quickly made. You had and always will support her in all her decisions, and you were very proud of the hero she was becoming.

The upside of Kate becoming an Avenger was that you always had someone to protect you. The downside, however, was that it also tended to be the reason why you needed protection in the first place. It seemed like there was always someone set on hurting the Avengers, their loved ones included.

You had gotten close to Laura, Clint's wife, when Kate first joined the Avengers. She knew what you were going through from personal experience and was a great person for advice as well as company. It comforted you to know their relationship could withstand the evil that was out in the world, it always gave you a certain sense of security.

After the first time people tried to go after you, Kate made you a promise. She had promised you that she would never leave you alone at night. That meant she was there or when she wasn't able to, you had a place to stay at the Avengers Compound or the Barton residence.

Tonight, you both slept in your shared apartment. You had loved this place from the beginning, there was so much space, and you were fully able to decorate the home to both of your liking. It was the first home after living with parents for the both of you.

A strange noise coming from downstairs woke you up, you nudged Kate until she woke up as well. "I think someone is downstairs." You whisper. After hearing that Kate is wide awake and already at the bedroom door listening for movement downstairs. The second she hears a noise too, she walks to the closet and grabs her bow and arrow. With your eyes widen "What are you going to do?". Kate looks back at you, "They will have to go through me before they get to you."

You knew that meant that she wanted you to stay and let her handle the situation. Kate was going to protect you at all costs, she had made that clear when she had shared wanting to join the Avengers when she got the opportunity to. So, you did, you stayed in the room. You heard her raise her voice and the sound of shattering glass filled the apartment. You hated the waiting around and not knowing if Kate was okay, but you knew to trust her with stuff like this.

About fifteen minutes later she came back up unharmed. "They're gone. I think it was those guys that were following you last week, Trust a Bro was the name on the van right?" You only nod your head in response. "Okay, in that case this wasn't a random break in." She walks back to the closet and grabs two duffel bags. "Pack some clothes, we're going to the Barton's for a while until we figure something out, okay?" You take the back from her with shaky hands. Kate notices and realizes you're still scared. "You're safe with me, baby. I'll be by your side the whole time." She gives you a hug before you both pack your clothes.

Before closing the door, you look back inside the apartment, "What about the rest of our stuff?" Kate grabs your hand. "Don't worry about it, I'll call Stark in the morning and ask him to hire some movers in the morning. I know how important the home we build together is, I'll ask if we can store it at the Compound for a bit." That reassures you enough to close the door behind you.

When you arrive at the Barton's it's already morning, you knock on the door and Clint answers. "Kate, y/n, we weren't expecting you, were we?" He says worriedly, thinking he might have forgotten something. "No, I'm sorry to just drop by. Something happened tonight and I didn't want to call you at that time of the night." Clint ushers you in. "Don't be silly, you're always welcome here. What happened?". You explain the situation and Clint tells you that the two of you are more than welcome to stay with him for however long you need. "Come on in, Laura was just making some breakfast.".

You turn the corner into the kitchen and are met with three excited kids running your way. They each hug both you and Kate like they haven't seen you in years, while it has maybe been three weeks. You gladly hugged them back though, you loved these kids like they were your family. Laura also hugs the both of you hello, "Have you had anything to eat yet?" When you both say no she offers to make some extra food.

After breakfast the kids go outside to play. Clint asks both of you to stay for a moment. "Laura and I have been talking about this for a while, so I don't want you to think this is a rushed decision. I just think that with what's been going on, that now is a good time to offer. As you know we've been remodeling the barn into a guest house. We would like you to live there if you would want that of course. It's up to you, but we would really like it. Having more people around and of course a safe environment." You and Kate exchange a look, she sees the instant comfort in your eyes and responds with, "We would love that. Thank you so much!"

The following weeks you're helping Clint get the house ready. Tony agreed to get some movers to transport your belongings to the new house and soon you had a new place to make your home.