This is a hospital

Prompt: "You're here way too often." - "So what?" - "This is a hospital."

~

As a nurse working in an emergency room, you've met your fair share of patients. But there were only a few were you were able to connect their face with their name. Knowing exactly who they were once you saw them come in, because they came into the ER on quite a regular basis.

Most of these regular ER visitors you knew by name were elderly people, but one wasn't. Her name is Kate Bishop. The last month alone she must've been in here four times.

Your fellow nurses had caught on that this twenty something woman was found in the ER way too often for someone her age. And also, to the fact that you seemed to be taking a liking to her.

It was a slow Friday night shift, those didn't happen very often. You were cleaning up some beds while you didn't have a patient, when your coworker walked up to you. "Hey y/n, your favorite patient is here, I figured you'd like to be the one to treat her." She said with a wink. You rolled your eyes at her, but once she turned around you smiled. Kate was your favorite person and that might also be because you've developed a crush on the woman.

You walked into the waiting room and there she was, "Hey Kate, come on in." Kate stood up and followed you to one of the rooms. "What happened this time?" You asked her while you inspected the cuts on her face. You knew by now that she worked together with Hawkeye on some of his missions, but you were still interested in how her injuries happened.

"Something exploded and it happened so fast I wasn't able to find cover." Kate explained. "Did you get hit anywhere besides your face?" Kate shakes her head, "No, not this time."

"That's good. The cuts on your face don't seem too bad. I'll disinfect them and with some butterfly stitches they should heal up nicely." You start gathering what you need and move back with the tray in hand.

"Ready?" You ask with a cotton swab full of disinfectant in your hand. "Yeah, go for it." Kate says. You grab her chin softly to move her head in the direction so that you can reach each cut better. Being as close as you are you hear her breathing change, and you smile to yourself. Apparently you had the same effect on her as she did on you.

You clean each of her cuts and place the butterfly stiches in place. After that you get ready to discharge her. "You know, you're here way too often." You say to Kate. "So what?"

"Kate, this is a hospital." You emphasize. "Plus, your injuries are never really ER worthy, and you should definitely know by now how to put on butterfly stiches. So, if my coworkers are correct on this; If you come here just to see me, you should ask for my number. It would spare you a lot of hospital bills." You're surprised at your own directness. You really liked her and would love to see her not hurt and outside of work.

Kate steps up as you handed her the discharge papers. "Alright, in that case, could I please have your number?"

You gave her your number before you had to move on to the next patient. Before you open the curtain to their room you feel your phone buzz in your pocket. You check the message before you head in.

It read 'Dinner tomorrow? - your favorite patient'. You look back to where you just left Kate. She looks at you expectantly with a smile. You return the smile and send her a text back, 'Sounds good, I'm off at 5pm. Text me the details :)'