Accidents happen

Prompt: "I'm at the hospital."

~

Kate was on a mission with Clint, she had recently joined him on more missions. You were happy for her, because she was doing what she has wanted to do since she was younger, you couldn't help but also be scared. There was a big difference between being the captain of the archery team at the school you had met and fallen for Kate, and being on dangerous missions with the Avengers. You loved Kate just the same, you were just worried for her wellbeing.

So, when you got the inevitable call from your girlfriend, the only words that you heard were, "I'm at the hospital." Your heart sank to your stomach, your girlfriend was injured. You dropped everything and rushed to the hospital, Kate's words echoing in the back of your mind, I'm at the hospital, words you knew were going to come one day or another, but now that they were here, they still felt unreal.

Once you arrive at the hospital, you ask a nurse where you can find Kate, she tells you the room, and you rush in the direction the nurse pointed you in. You know you're heading the right way, when you find Clint in the hallway, a cup of coffee in his hand. "You were supposed to protect her." You say as soon as his eyes meet yours. When Kate had first come to you asking you about your opinion on her joining Clint, you had talked long with both her and Clint. You had said that it was okay on the condition that Clint would keep her safe to the best of his abilities. Now you were poking your finger at his chest, "You were supposed to keep her safe." Tears start to escape your eyes. Clint pulls you into a hug. "She's okay, y/n." You hated how comforting his hug felt, he was the reason that your girlfriend was hurt. Or so you thought. When you calmed down a bit Clint explained what happened, "We had just gotten back to your apartment after the mission, Kate was coming down the stairs after changing, and tripped over Lucky." You start feeling guilty for blaming Clint, but he just shakes off your apologies, he was just glad to see that you had Kate's back as much as he did.

Clint walks you to Kate's room, where you find her in a hospital gown and a cast around her lower leg. "Hi, baby, Clint told me what happened. How are you feeling?" The girl reached out for you. "I'm alright, just a little sore." You hum, "I can imagine." You were sure the bruises that would form, were going to be evidence of that tomorrow.

After some check-ups you were allowed to take Kate home. Clint drives the both of you to your shared apartment, you had been at school when you got the call, and had taken the bus to the hospital. He helps Kate inside the building, as you open the door to the apartment. Kate walked in on her crutches, and sat down on the couch. Clint instantly scooted the coffee table closer to the couch so that Kate could rest her foot on it.

Lucky was laying at the bottom of the stairs, and was looking at your girlfriend with a guilty look in his eyes. You make your way to him and start scratching him behind his ears, "It's okay, buddy, accidents happen." Clint offered to get some supplies so that you could stay by Kate's side. Lucky kept his distance, but you figured he just needed a moment and would be back by Kate's side soon.

You sat down on the couch and Kate laid her head down on your lap, her leg now resting on the arm of the couch with a pillow propped underneath it. You were mindlessly playing with her hair while watching the show that played on the TV. From the corner of your eye, you had seen Lucky scoot closer and closer to the two of you, each time taking a moment to see if it was okay. Until he sat fully in front of the both of you, and Kate reached out her hand to pet him. "Hi bud, it's okay, I'm not mad at you. It wasn't your fault." After a few more pets he makes his way over to his spot next to the couch.

Clint arrives back at the apartment with all the stuff Kate would need for the next couple of days. You want to get up to help him put it away, but he insists that you could stay seated, claiming that the three of you looked too cozy. So, Kate cuddles back into you. Clint left with the comment that if you needed anything, you could call or text him.

The rest of the afternoon you spend cuddling up with your little family on the couch, only getting up to take Lucky out for a walk and making everyone some food. You loved your little family, and were glad that despite Kate getting hurt, she was going to be okay.