Midnight meeting

Summary: After not being able to help a civilian in need, you decide to clear your head in a dimly lit park. You didn't expect to see anyone at this hour, especially not your Avenger coworker Kate.

~

All you ever wanted to do was help people, so when you got these abilities, you put them to good use. Spider-Woman, that's the name the media chose for you. And when people started to see more and more of what you were doing, they proclaimed you The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Woman. You lived by this status, so when you weren't able to help people like they expect you too, it's hard on you.

Sadly, tonight was one of those nights. You had already changed back into your regular clothes, not feeling worthy of wearing the Spider Suit that Tony had made for you. Going home didn't feel right, and going to the Compound felt even more wrong. That's why you were walking around a park at 11pm.

It had been a while since you had seen people around, so when you heard a voice call out to you, it scared you at first. When the person came closer, you recognized her from the Compound. "Y/n, right?" You nod your head, not really in the mood to have a conversation with someone you barely know. The woman continues nonetheless, "Kate, Kate Bishop. I've seen you at the Compound right?" You nod again. "What are you doing out here so late?" She asks. It's the first open question, so you won't be able to nod your head in response. "I could ask you the same thing."

Kate laughs at your response, "You're right. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to take a walk. Your turn." You quietly say, "I messed up." A frown makes its way onto Kate's face. "What happened?" The tears start forming in your eyes. "I wasn't fast enough, I couldn't save him. He's dead because I wasn't fast enough." You tell her how you went straight to the location the notification told you, and that when you got there the dying man's wife was crying by his side. He had suffered a heart attack and help wasn't fast enough to bring him back.

Kate is quick to reassure you that you didn't do anything wrong. "You did everything you could, it's not your fault. You got there before the paramedics did. You were there first, there was nothing anyone could have done." Kate places a hand on your shoulder in an attempt to emphasize her words, and even though you don't know her well, your emotions get the better of you and you break down in her arms.

She holds you while you sob in her arms. When you feel like you've cried all your tears you step out of her arms and thank her. You look her in the eyes, expecting judgements or pity, but instead you see compassion and understanding. Kate took you by the hand and guided you to a nearby park bench. You talk about anything and everything, until you feel raindrops falling from the sky.

"Come on, I'll walk you home." Kate says. She sees the hesitation on your face and is quick to offer a second option, "Or we could go to my place? I live above a pizza place, so we can have some food, and maybe after we can watch a movie. How does that sound?" You nod, "Sounds good, I don't really want to be alone tonight."

As promised Kate bought a pizza to share before heading up to her apartment. You ate it while watching your comfort movie. She made sure you had enough blankets and pillows to spend the night on her couch, which you were very grateful for. The next morning she made sure you had some breakfast before you both had to head to the Compound for combat training.

When you arrived at the compound together, everyone's eyes were on you. No one said anything, but they were glad that you had found each other, whether that was as friends or more. The two of you were around the same age and were from similar backgrounds, the team didn't want to force any relations but they had high hopes for the two of you connecting.

Kate didn't leave your side at any point. When she wasn't your partner during the exercise, she made sure to be next to you. She was making sure you were alright, especially after you told her that you didn't want to be alone. It was comforting to know that there was someone in your corner.

The only moment that she wasn't near you was when Natasha took you aside. Kate wanted to follow, but you told her it was okay. "Hey malen'kiy pauk [little spider], I noticed Kate keeping an eye on you the whole morning and I just wanted to check if everything is okay." You smiled at the nickname.

She had told you that since the day that Tony had brought you to the Compound, it gave you a sense of comfort. "Yeah, I'm okay. Something happened last night, and Kate was there to help me and take care of me. Thank you for looking out for me, Nat." Natasha nods, "Of course, if you need anything let me know, okay?" You let her know that you will before heading back to training. "Everything okay?" Kate asks between punches. "Yes, all good. She just wanted to check on me."

When the training is over you desperately need a shower. You walk up to Kate, "Do you have plans today?" You ask her. "Not really, probably just hang around the compound for a bit." You take her phone from her hand, add your number to her contacts and send yourself a text before handing her phone back. "Text me when you're ready? I'll come pick you up."

And so she did. You picked her up from her room and took her down to the game room. You spend the rest of the afternoon playing all sorts of games on the big screen. Clint and Natasha smiled when they heard your laughter coming from the game room as they walked by, they instantly knew that the two of you were going to be okay.