Completely capable

Prompt: "Despite what you think, I am completely capable of taking care of myself."

Warning(s): guns, and yelling

~

Today was your first mission with the Avengers, you were nervous, to say the least. A couple months ago Kate introduced you to the team, you were her girlfriend and long-time archery partner. Ever since you met at archery practice when you were both kids. The team asked to see your skills and they were just as impressed with your skills as with Kate's. After a bit of discussing, they asked you to train with them for a while, to see if you'd be a good fit for the team. Training had been going well, hence your first opportunity to show of your skills in the field.

The mission was going well, it was you, Kate, Steve and Natasha. You finished scooping out the first building, no one was in there. When you started crossing the field to the second building, you were met with twenty-something people all armed with guns. Now the team is surrounded on an open field, not the best position to be in.

You await orders from Steve since he's leading the mission. Your bow and arrow ready to shoot, just like Kate's. Natasha reached for a second gun, "What's the plan now, cap?" On his move you all start attacking the people surrounding you. Steve throws his shield, taking out a couple of them at the same time. Natasha moves around swiftly firing shots left and right. Meanwhile you and Kate are back-to-back, shooting arrows. It didn't seem like your attackers seemed to get less since more and more joined in, running out of the building. "y/n, try getting that exit blocked. I'll cover you." Natasha yells over her shoulder.

You turn around facing the door, grabbing a net arrow, and aiming for the door. You were a great shot and made it in one go, successfully closing off the door. You join the team to fight off the people that are still surrounding you. When Steve shouts, "y/n, have another one of those arrows? Another exit on your right." Sure enough the people you had just blocked came charging out of another door.

Grabbing another net arrow out of your quiver and placing it in your bow. Before you can even aim your bow, you see Kate releasing an arrow heading towards the door. A couple seconds later the arrow hits the wall, and a loud explosion is heard. Kate shot an explosive arrow towards the door and made part of the building collapse, closing off the exit. With both exits closed, the team finally manages to fight off all the surrounded enemies. Steve decides to call the mission to an end and head back.

Back at the compound Natasha gives you're a bat on the back and Steve says, "Good job out there, y/n." before both take off to get cleaned up, leaving you with Kate. "What was that Kate?" You ask sending her a glare. "What was what?" She asks with a furrowed brow.

"Steve asked me to close the exit, why did you blow it up? Today was my chance to prove myself to the team and you ruined it." She steps closer, "I was just trying to help you out." You step back, "Despite what you think, I am completely capable of taking care of myself." You say, storming off. You had to clear your head, you knew you only had one shot, this was it. A tear rolls down your face, you quickly wipe it off and go to the bathroom to take a shower.

Once you're done, you sit down on your bed, staring out the window. You hear a knock on the door and tell whoever it is to come in. Wanda walks over to you and sits down next to you. "I kind of overheard your conversation with Kate in the hallway. So, I asked Natasha and Steve if I could share what they told the rest of the team in the debriefing."

When you turn to look at her she continues, "They think you did great, y/n. They think you would be a great addition to the team." Your worried expression slowly turns into a smile. "Really?" She nods. "Wow, that's great. Thank you for sharing with me Wanda." You say excitedly, but your excitement quickly changes back to worry, "Will you excuse me? I should really go talk to Kate."

You knock on Kate's door, it takes a few moments but then she opens, "Hey" she says softly. You step inside and close the door behind you, "Kate, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have reacted that way, I know you were just trying to help. I was just so in my head about the whole thing, that I overlooked the whole situation. I'm sorry I yelled at you, please forgive me?" As a response Kate takes you into her arms, "Thank you, baby. I forgive you." She pulls away slightly so she can face you, "So, how about we go celebrate you joining the Avengers?"