Chapter 31 - Floating while dreaming

Darryl's POV:

Christmas eve. Just 30 minutes away.

Its been a week since the doctors told us about the news. Zak still hasn't woken up.

Here I sit in his hospital room, just the sound of monitors beeping.

I hold his hand gently, it was fairly cold.

My hands were a bit warm, I just hoped he could feel it.

I just sat there admiring him.

I had a present I picked out for him since we met, I assumed we would stay friends forever.

Obviously that was false, but I still planned to give it to him, just looking at it made me...sick? I don't know how to describe it.

It was a gold bracelet, with his birthstone..

Coincidentally it happened to be my favorite color... Red.

I giggled at this.

I had the present sitting on the table beside the bed he was laying in.

He might have to open it late and it will probably keep haunting me but at least when he wakes up, he'll be surprised.

I sighed as I layed my head on his bed, still holding his hand.

I miss his warmth.

We had planned how we would spend today. This exact date.

It's pointless now but, he was very enthusiastic about this day.
_

"Since Christmas is coming up, I need to tell you how I want to spend it !" Zak said

"Dude, it's literally like 4 months away." Darryl replied, looking unenthusiastic.

"SO WHAT?? I can dream can't I !!?!?!" Zak says scoffing.

Darryl sighs gently as he looks at Zak from across the table. Zak was pouting at him, giving him pleading eyes.

"Fine. Tell me what you want to do?" Darryl says, rolling his eyes playfully.

Zak's eyes light up as he says this and begins rambling.

"Well since you asked ! I want us to go to my place, we are going to make cookies for santa obviously and maybe some for ourselves, and actually before that.. I wanted to go out to like a fancy shmancy dinner you know?" Zak says

"Zak, you barely made pancakes, what makes you think you can bake cookies? And why such a fancy place?" Darryl says.

"HEY, those pancakes came out good!" Zak says, getting defensive.

"Jeez, I wonder who made the majority of those pancakes" Darryl says, smirking, trying to contain his laugh.

"Shut up!" Zak says, rolling his eyes playfully.

Darryl starts laughing at this while Zak looks unamused.

"Well smartass har har har, but nevermind that.. on the dinner  I just wanted to take you out to someplace nice.." Zak says, getting a bit shy.

"Language and also what do you mean?" Darryl says confused.

"Well I mean, You deserve it for I guess putting up with me." Zak says, a bit flustered.

"Zak.. You don't need to impress me by taking me out somewhere nice. I'm happy with whatever we do, as long as we do it together." Darryl says reassuringly.

"I know but-" Zak gets cutoff.

"I mean it! How about instead of a fancy dinner, I just make food at your place. Christmas shouldn't have to be fancy, it should be spent at home with your family and friends."

Zak looks at Darryl confused but gets a bit nervous. Darryl has a reassuring smile on his face. Zak calms down and looks into his eyes.

"Y-Yeah, I guess you're right..." Zak says

There is a slight pause as they look at eachother, tension growing as the room seems to get a bit warmer.

Finally the silence is broken as the two get cold feet and start avoiding eye contact, clearly flustered at eachother.

"What about your other plans for that day?" Darryl finally says, changing the atmosphere.

"Welll, I was thinking after we do that, we could watch christmas movies in the living room, maybe play a few games and stuff !! Before finally going to sleep, and then the next day we open presents and hangout with our friends !!" Zak says happily.

"That sounds perfect" Darryl smiles.

"Yeah I know" Zak says, a bit cocky before he giggles at himself.

Darryl rolls his eyes before holding Zak's hand gently, catching Zak off guard.

They both look at eachother and smile before they get quiet again and start eating, still holding onto eachother.

_

End of chapter 31
Time taken: 1 hour
716 words

Thank you for reading !

A/N: Merry christmas and Happy Hanukkah !! :3 Hope you all have an amazing day, I will continue to upload as much as I can !