Questioning

The next month just flew by. Since Final Exams were in a month, the three Class Reps held study sessions at the school library, or at their houses (Momo's mansion could hold the whole class). anyone who was falling behind would immediately come to Keiya, who was advanced academically by two years. Everyone was confident that they would pass the written Exam, and they trained hard in physical classes to make sure they'd pass the Practical Exam. All the while, Tokoyami and Keiya only got closer.

Despite the positivity going around, Keiya still felt a nagging discomfort. Whenever someone referred to her as a girl, or a she, she'd feel like it was somehow wrong. It didn't feel like a side effect of the serum anymore. Feeling unsure and displaced, she turned to the one person who she trusted most.

"Dad, can we please talk about something?" Hawks put down the stack of textbooks he was helping Keiya carry and sat down at their kitchen counter. "Sure. What's up?" "Well..." Keiya began, but she felt like she couldn't speak. "It's okay. Take your time." Hawks said, placing a hand on Keiya's shoulder. She took a deep breath then began to speak. 

"I don't know why, but I don't feel like I'm comfortable with being called a girl." Hawks' eyes widened slightly and he stopped to think for a second. "...Are you mad?" Keiya asked tentatively, snapping her dad out of his thoughts. "No, no. Of course it's not wrong." Hawks soothed his child. "Let me explain. The serum didn't completely work physically. However, your brain is going through the things that fifteen-year-olds will go through. Some teenagers will question their gender identity-That means that they might not feel right being called the gender they were born as. Are you still with me?" After a nod from Keiya, Hawks continued to explain.

"So that might be you. It's not abnormal, it's not bad. You might find that you identify as another gender." Keiya perked up. "How many are there?" "Well, there are a lot. The basic ones are girl, boy, non-binary and genderfluid. Non-binary is when you don't feel like a girl or a boy, and genderfluid is when it changes."

"Wait." Keiya held up a finger. "Non-binary sounds right!" "Great!" Hawks said. "Do you want to use they/them pronouns as well?" He asked.

Keiya smiled, a radiant, relieved smile. "That would be nice."