Chapter 8 - Torn together.

It felt a bit strange hearing Sigewinne calling out "Papa" and "Dad" from around the house. I wasn't use to such words. I suppose that's what I signed myself up for. It honestly felt weird - I always saw myself as a parental figure to Sige but I could only ever dream and imagine this day, never live in the reality of it, until this very moment that I speak of.

Even now I don't know if it's a dream or not. I only told Sigewinne an hour or two ago that she could officially call me dad and now, she's taken that opportunity and using it as she pleases. I'm not necessarily mad or disappointed in it, just merely astonished by her straightforwardness.      

I still remembered when she first did it. It was when I first adopted her and promised to look after her. I don't know if she meant it or solely misinterpreted me for her biological dad but the face of guilt that washed over her face - it made me realise the amount of things that this little girl had gone through.

I don't know how long Sigewinne was at the orphanage but I can understand how she must of felt. I've been an orphan myself for over half my life. It was probably one of my hardest times in my whole entire existence. I never, ever, want to relive it. Though I've grown from it no child should ever live the life as an orphan.

While Sigewinne was eating some snacks for dinner to fill her stomach I did her washing. I didn't have enough time to cook her a proper meal, regardless she was okay with having snacks. This wasn't the first time this has happened.

Sometimes I felt guilty, ashamed for not only making her stay at daycare but Y/N. Personally I'm very grateful for Y/N's patient. I know she doesn't like me. No would like someone who makes you tend to their child after work hours. You have your own life. I would have thought by now she would have said no or complained but she hasn't and to that, I am very appreciative of.

That nonplused me. Maybe I could get her something as a thank you? Perhaps I could mend our relationship together a little bit more. I don't want her hating me forever after all. 

I grabbed a basket full of Sigewinne's washing and wandered up towards her room. As I passed the kitchen I heard her speak in a chirpy yet tired tone, "Wrio- Dad look! I turned my food into a smiley face!"

She held up her plate of small little snacks. She had craved out a smiley face and positioned it around on her pink and blue swirled plate.

I couldn't help but chuckle at her cuteness, "That's great, dear Sigewinne. You eat up, brush your teeth and get dressed alright?"

She nodded as she continued to munch on her food. Heaving a sigh I walked up toward her room.

Her room was still dark and gloomy from our interaction earlier. It made me sad seeing her in such climates. I ran my hand over her light switch and turned it on. The light flashed before my eyes, bringing a warmer aura to the area.

I sat the basket down on her neatly made bed and began to sort out each piece of clothing one by one.

Sigewinne had a very specific taste in clothing styles. She loved to wear little bows and dresses. She also loved wearing blue and pink colours. I always made sure that when I bought her clothes that it connected with her fashion sense. 

Just as I was about to put her shirts away I noticed little pieces of paper scattered across the ground. I couldn't pinpoint what it exactly was. Some were blue while others were multicoloured.

I bent down and picked up a piece. I ran my fingers over the paper, the texture felt like paint. It made me ponder why she had paper in her room.

I sat her t-shirts down grabbed a handful of the torn pieces. One by one I began to slowly connect them together like a small little puzzle.

After what seemed like ages I had a small picture. It was a stick figure version of herself. My eyes flashed a small sense of confusion. Connected onto her hand was someone else's hand. I was completely lost on who it was.

I was now keen on investigating and solving the puzzle so I grabbed the other pieces and began to align them one by one.

Not so long the later everything clicked. I felt lost. Completely lost as my eyes stared at the photo.

But why was this painting ripped up...? 

Why? Was it because we butted heads earlier?

 It was such a lovely painting. I have to admit Sigewinne could be an artist herself one day. I just couldn't shake why it was torn to shreds across her carpet. That feeling never ever washed away.

Sigewinne was one who was very proud of her creations. She loved looking after and tending people and using her creativity, that's what she did best in. All her paintings and awards are stuck on the fridge. Anymore and I'll run out of room! Maybe I just need a bigger fridge for her. But why not this one?

Just as I was about to take a photo of the painting I heard a voice coming from the direction of her door. It made me freeze, I had been caught.

"Papa, why are you taking so long?"